cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Extra youview box and sky sport

Why can't I have sky sports through youview and an extra box. I want to break free from sky and this seemed the perfect way, although when I tried to order an extra box and have sky sports also, I was informed that I couldn't. The sales team did not know why, it was just when they go through the sales process it blocks this option. 

I know a lot of people who would switch to BT if this could happen.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Extra youview box and sky sport

Unfortunately it is to do with the license with sky. Your subscription only allows access to sky's services on one box (sky's requirements not BT's).

BT have to find a way to block the additional sky channels from the extra box they could then allow extra box but it would not be allowed to show the sky channels on it (I don't know if this would still put people off though).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Wouldn't put me off. Wouldn't a viewing card have this capability. This works with my sky multi room where I can only get btsports on my main box and not the extra box. Seems in this age off technology a big company like bt, sky and youview would have this sorted.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

It's not a technology issue, it's Sky throttling the competition!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I think you are correct skappy70 and BT seem to be slow to rectify it

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 10

BT cannot rectify it because Sky have the final say. They fought tooth and nail for the last 2 or 3 years to try and keep Sky Sports 1&2 off BT Youview boxes, using every denial process legally possible. Even when OFCOM told them they had to do it they Appealed, again and again. But finally late last year, the Competition Appeals Tribunal said OFCOM were entitled (only as an interim measure!) to force Sky to wholesale SS 1&2 to BT Youview, and as soon as they did, they appeared.

But I can't see it happening for 2nd Youview boxes, simply because OFCOM hasn't forced them to do it (AFAIK). Not for years, anyway... or unless BT agree to let Sky sell BT Sport, which BT don't want to let them do. TitForTat, y' see.

PS Why on earth isTit (the separate 3 letter word) on the censored list, there are some common and perfectly proper uses of that word, including what I just tried to write near the end of my previous paragraph, and names of birds. We are not 9 year old children, it's a pretty daft word to censor to be honest. GRRR.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

@Timmytapeworm wrote:
Wouldn't put me off. Wouldn't a viewing card have this capability. This works with my sky multi room where I can only get btsports on my main box and not the extra box. Seems in this age off technology a big company like bt, sky and youview would have this sorted.

The BT Youview boxes don't have a viewing card slot. They don't need one as BT can control the channel access via the customer's account settings and associated broadband connection delivery path. 

I agree that in theory BT should be able to set up the software so multiroom can give all but the Sky channels (Sports or Movies) on the 2nd box to keep Sky happy. I guess the current system wasn't designed with that functionality in mind, though it does sound like a relatively simple requirement from an IT point of view?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I agree with you umpire...Just seems that us (we) customers are left with a bum deal again. Why can't these companies sort their affairs out and give us what we want. 

They just want to squeeze every last penny out of us.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

As with most things in modern life it seems, it will always come back to money...

BT wil look at how many people actually want to order Sky Sports + Multiroom, and then look at the cost of designing and implementing a system that prevents the Sky channels from being viewed on the secondary box, so they still comply with their contractual agreements with Sky.

If the outlay for implementing the system is more than the extra revinue they estimate they will gain back, they simply won't do it.

I agree that it can't be that difficult to put such a system in place, they can already identify if you are trying to use a 2nd box that isn't BT supplied and stop that from accessing BT Player and the Extra Channels, so it can't be much more difficult to allow the secondary box to work while just blocking the Sky channels.

Multiroom is still a new product for BT, the only hope is if many more people are buying multiroom, and then the demand for the Sky channels will increase, forcing them into providing a solution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

I had two boxes and when Sky Sports was first launched I tried to get that but had to cancel my multi-room to secure the Sky Sports package. However, when my next months bill arrived I was then charged for about 9 months of multiroom as well because apparantly multi room is a 12 month contract .... so be warned !!!!! ........ 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings