cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arronjohnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 87

Extreme download speed slowdowns during evening

For the past week I've been experiencing extremely slow download speeds, but only during the evening. This usually occurs from about 5pm until the early hours of the morning, approximately 5am. My upload speed is mostly steady throughout the day.

These are the results of a speed test done at 9pm tonight:

These are the results of a couple of speed tests showing my normal download speed early in the morning:

As I said previously, this has only started occurring recently, up until now my download speeds have remained consistently high throughout the day. I've tried various things such as resetting both the modem and our HH4 and using a wired connection over wireless but nothing has improved these slowdowns during the evening.

0 Ratings
86 REPLIES 86
arronjohnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 87

Re: Extreme download speed slowdowns during evening

Did another speed test early this morning to show my download speed back to normal. It'll remain this high until about 4 or 5pm where it drops drastically again. I've had download speeds as low as 2 Mbps during the evening on some days.

0 Ratings
arronjohnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 87

Taken at 8pm tonight. I'm at a loss as to how it can drop from 70+ in the morning to 5 or lower in the evening. My friends on ADSL have double my download speed right now.. so what exactly am I paying for fibre broadband for?

0 Ratings
meehog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 87

Which exchange are you on Arron?  I'm having the same problem on the Barrow-in-Furness exchange.

0 Ratings
arronjohnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 87

So the issue was supposedly fixed early this morning? Okay, let's test it. Speed test taken at 5:25pm today which is usually the point at which it stats turning to sh**. It'll slow down even further over the next hour or two.

Once again BT displays their complete and utter incompetence. Should have cancelled our Infinity order when you guys couldn't even get our address right after repeated attempts.

0 Ratings
AlecTR
Contributor
Message 6 of 87

• "Which exchange are you on Arron?  I'm having the same problem on the Barrow-in-Furness exchange."

I'm from Dalton-in-Furness. Exactly same thing is happening for over the month now. I have just been contacted by BT mods trying to sort it out.

0 Ratings
arronjohnson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 87

Replied to meehog in another thread but I'm from Barrow-In-Furness as well, seems like it's a problem in our area.

0 Ratings
meehog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 87

Yeah, the problem is apparently fixed, according to the webiste, but it just isn't at all.  Going to get back on to customer support now.  This is extremely irritating.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 87

Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting, I'm really sorry about the problems you've had with your BT Infinity service in the Barrow-In-Furness area.  I've contacted the network team asking them to investigate this and as soon as we know more we'll post back here.

Thanks

0 Ratings
meehog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 87

Thanks Neil, at least you've contacted the network team to investigate it, I was on the phone to a supervisor at 1st level support just earlier who told me my speed of 6.56 Mbps was within acceptable levels and that there was nothing they could do!  If that's the case then as far as I'm concerned, that's breach of contract and I'd cancel.

0 Ratings