Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Extreme fluctuations with download speed

Hi all,

In the past few weeks or so, well more or less a month and a bit i should think, i've been having extreme fluctuations in download speeds. One minute i'd be getting 2mb/s and it would stay the same for a couple of minutes and then the next it'll be all the way down to 200kb/s and that'll also stay for a couple of mins, and this process continues untill the download is complete. This is not just on the odd occasion either, it happens with every download and on at any day or time, it becomes increasing infuriating when i am downloading a large file and it should be downloaded with 20 mins or so but ends up being downloading in a hour or so. My computer also for some reason becomes extremely slow when the download fluctuates all the way down to say 200kb/s.

I've purchased BT Infinity and unlimited downloads for a reason, i like to download large files on occasions and at a quick speed, whats the point of me having infinity if i'm getting rubbish download speeds? What's happening with this fluctuation of download speed is ridiculous, is there any reason why this is happening? Also is there some sort of limit of how much yo can download, even though i have unlimited downloads? Not happy.

All help to resolve this issue would be much appreciated, i can;t see myslef contuning with BT for much longer if this continues as it's basically money down the drain.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Extreme fluctuations with download speed

I noticed this for the first time the other night but I am hoping it was because my brother was streaming something. If it becomes a regular occurrence I will be terminating contract.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

You haven't detailed what type of files you are downloading and at what time of day - this could have an effect on speed as P2P is throttled at times.

I believe the normal advice in situations like this is to advice you run the BT Speedtest (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/) - make sure you are running it with a wired connection and that you have logged off anything else that could interfere with a test speed (iPad, Phones etc).

Although sites like speedtest.net offer an indication of speed, they are not that accurate. The BT test the above is the only result that people here will be able to offer advice from, as it will show some details of how your line is set.

You can only run one test an hour I believe.

Good luck Smiley Happy

G

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Seems Steam was the culprit as the speeds are still fluctuating on it. Downloaded and uploaded from elsewhere and still full speed 40 down and 10 up when tested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Yes steam was a bit slow yesterday downloads ok today though

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Spooksman thats the thing, i have tried downloading at most times in the day (early monday morning today and i still got the fluctuation) and on the weekend, i have downloaded from websites that support high speed downloads and file hosting sites such as Rapidshare, Megaupload etc, no matter what time of day or what i download from i get the same problem. The decrease in download speed is bad enough but what i also don;t understand is why it has such drastic action on my laptop's processing speed, it's virtually unusable when the decrease happens.

This has been going on for a fair few weeks now, it hasn't only been recently.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

As I said, some data from  the BT Speedtest (http://www.speedtester.bt.com/) is the best start point - that will start to narrow the problem by showing if it is the conneection that is at fault. That in turn may let the people on here help to diagnose and offer suggestions.

G

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Sorry about this, but what option am i supposed to select? I have BT infnity option 2 and i selected the ADSL and Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) Speed Test and i am constantly getting this messge after entering my phone number; The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

This message has come up a number of times.

I ran the beta test and got 41.08

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

@stp wrote:

Sorry about this, but what option am i supposed to select? I have BT infnity option 2 and i selected the ADSL and Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) Speed Test and i got this message after entering my phone number; The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

This message has come up a number of times.

I ran the beta test and got 41.08

Yes that is the correct one to select.

The speed tester is running, at least it just worked for me

1.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Did you enter your phone number or service id number? I entered my phone number.

Still getting the same message.

0 Ratings