cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 1 of 25

Extremelly slow broadband speed, high ping constantly.

Hello!

So I'll just straight into the deal here, don't wanna make a long intro and bore the readers to death.

I recently joined BT, moving from Talk Talk on the 24th of September I believe. All was great I suppose I've never really had high speed broadband but as curious as I am I decided to run a load of speed tests and always got results at like 2mbs which in all honesty I find that quite awesome!

Regardless, my actual download speed, per say downloading a game or watching a video or whatever never really went above 300kbs. Ok. So anyways, that was fine and I assumed that was due to the fact that I just joined and the line was being tested ect ect ect.. However! an ever worse twist to this story, recently more like this past week, my download speed and ping has been abysmally slow, and by abysmally I mean I ran tests on speedtest.net, and got results like 0.02 up to 0.24mbs, I mean I can't even really browse or play games or watch a video in 240p with that! Did the speedchecker on BT's website and got.. well not even a result as my connection was too slow apparently to even run the test! Sheesh!

So as much as I'd love to watch the countryside on youtube, I'd rather not wait 15mins to load a video in 360p! So I decided to come here, read up and all and read what was needed to be posted so I'll just link this huge image!

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.12 Mbps

0 Mbps0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.12 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.04 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.04Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

04:11:02, 08 Oct.(82414.530000) DSL is up
04:11:01, 08 Oct.(82413.480000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 4.40 dB downstream
04:10:59, 08 Oct.(82411.540000) DSL line rate: 50 Kbps upstream, 284 Kbps downstream
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 15:27:42
Data Transmitted/Received:63.7 MB / 262.8 MB
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Password:Not configured

TCP/IP settings
Broadband network IP address:81.156.95.126 
Default gateway:217.32.147.9 
Primary DNS:213.120.234.6 
Secondary DNS:62.6.40.162
Connection Information
Line state:Connectedppp0_0
Connection time:0 days, 15:28:03
Downstream:284.4 Kbps
Upstream:85.07 Kbps

Err I read about stuff such as let your homehub 4 (which is the one I currently have! Just to let y'all know!) on for 3/5days, Yeah that's not gonna work as it seems to reset itself everyday at around 4am-5am which I find quite peculiar.

Anyways, if one of y'all manages to sort this out, I'll gladly send you a picture of a cute kitten with my wizzingly fast broadband speed!

Cheers!

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Extremelly slow broadband speed, high ping constantly.

welcome to the forum

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet with no hiss/crackle and best with corded phone  if cordless then dull hum normal

are you connected to the test socket?  do you have extension sockets in other rooms?

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

Right, sorry I couldn't get back to ya straight away! I did a speed test on the test socket and came back the same. Otherwise I'm just connected to the normal master socket.

In terms of phone line test, it came back quiet as should be! Ive got a socket in the bedroom however that one doesn't work at all! This is getting quite frustrating for both me and missus! So a solution asap is quite welcome especially since I'm paying for a service which is near unusable!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Is it possible to connect to the test socket and repost stats as this will eliminate the wiring from the extension socket even if it does not work

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 5 of 25

Sure thing, interestingly enough it noted a problem and asked me to change my hub's username and run a tap3 test, whatever that might be. Anyways I did what I was told, changed it all, changed it all back and the test came out quite suprinsing seeing as it detects a fault and telling me I should complain!

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download  Speed
 0.22 Mbps

0 Mbps0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.22 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 0.01 Mbps

0 Mbps0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.01Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

I have never managed to get test 3 to work so now never bother

can you connect to test socket rather than master and then post the 2 lines from the logs with connection speed and noise margin please

can you enter your phone number and post what speed estimate it gives https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

0 Ratings
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

My previous post was actually the result from the test 3, connected to the test socket. I'm still connected to it currently and I can give you the 2 lines:

11:27:44, 11 Oct.( 81.180000) DSL is up
11:27:43, 11 Oct.( 80.220000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
11:27:42, 11 Oct.

( 79.310000) DSL line rate: 87 Kbps upstream, 284 Kbps downstream

0 Ratings
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

Oh and here's the other info you wanted:

Exchange LENHAM is served by Cabinet 4

Available ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date

Featured Products

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 9--6.5 to 18.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 9Up to 16.5 to 18.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5--4 to 6Available
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

compared to the estimate for your phone line you conenction speed is rubbish  is there any problems shown here https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=31

0 Ratings
Tyler009
Beginner
Message 10 of 25

Reports no problem at all, wondering if the mods could possibly help with that one!
0 Ratings