cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Extremely low speed

Go to solution

Hi,

Ordered 17 mb/s speed, got 15-17 mb/s, I was happy. But situation changed and I moved from Wakefield to Netherthon. Now I receive only 2-2.5 mb/s max.

Cant watch online nothing, no youtube, no Netflix, nothing. Even this page opening very slow.

I know that Im moved is nobody mistake, but still, seeing from my point of view - paying for 17mb/s, receiving 2 mb/s... Im very unhappy customer.

My question: is there any possible way to improve my internet speed?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Extremely low speed

Go to solution

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

I suspect that you are probably on an ADSL connection, not BT Infinity.

Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

First, thank you guys for reply.

I have HH4, tried there every possible settings, no changes on speed.

Yes, I am on an ADSL connection, not BT Infinity.

My connection is wired to desktop pc (i-5 2500K, SSD, GPU GTX660, clean old gaming pc, no problems there, like I said, in my old location speed was 15mbps with same desktop)

Here is bt speed test results:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download Speed (Mbps): 2.81
Upload Speed (Mbps): 0.35
Ping Latency(ms): 42.13

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I am using test socket, I bought BT I-Plate Broadband Speed Accelerator, but it wont help. I use filter which came with hub (wired phone connected as well).

wholesale FTTC check:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number ********* on Exchange HORBURY OSSETT is served by Cabinet 17

bt whole.png

I think distance to cabinet is about 3.5 miles

I tried quiet line test- after dialling there is quiet, only women voice repeating "quiet line test". Its mean everything ok?

Can someone explain to me what is WBC ADSL 2+ ?

I will be happy get that "Up to 4.5" at least...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router  if HH4/5 then go to troubleshooting then logs and you are looking for 2 line together when hub last connected to internet and they will show your connection speed and noise margin or if netgear enter 192.168.0.1). Then run  btspeedtester  (MAC users may have problems). when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post the results ( do not reset the router).  must use ethernet cable

you may be 3.5mls from the exchange but from your dslchecker estimated speed you are within 200/300m of the street cabinet  you could upgrade to infinity 1 and get 55/10mb connection speed

are you connected directly via a filter to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

test socket.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

Yes I think I connected directly via a filter to test socket, my socket looks like in picture like you posted.

Yes I tried the quiet line test with wireless phone (I dont have corded one) and line is quiet, only women voice repeating.

I have looked at adsl stats from my HH4, there is a lot of data like 3 pages, I dont want to mess here with big text copy-paste, because I think there is max what I can get ~2.8 mbps.

So I think is only option to go for BT Infinity, but prices are much higher for me than BT offering on sale website ... 😞

Here is example:

upgrade difference.png

It looks like not fair that I bought 17mbps but have 2.5-2.8mbps instead and now in case to upgrade my speed I must pay double price than other people.

By the way, Im not sure can I get BT Infinity in my address, because when I try to start upgrade process looks like everything ok, but in final step once I have been said that its impossible to get BT Infinity at this time at my address.

Where I can check for sure about that?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution
the results of the checker you posted show that infinity is available to you at speeds of up to 80 Mbps

copper broadband speeds are sold as UP TO speeds and the actual speed you receive is dependent on the distance between your home and the exchange with your possible fibre speeds you are very close to your local fibre cabinet
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

to upgrade I would use the options team who are uk baseed and see what deal they will give you and maybe new HH6  phone 0800800030

Message 9 of 16

Go to solution

Thank you guys!

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution

Thank you, but... as I understand to provide Europe standart internet speed (in many EU countries people have 1GB internet out of town for EUR 50-70/mth) to my village is pretty expensive, so I must pay double then usually people pay to get my promised "UP TO" 17mbps?

Sure, Im disabled person, living on benefits can save couple pounds from food and support poor BT.

Really nothing left, only irony, hearing ALL THE TIME "UP TO" "UP TO" "UP TO". When did you people realize that person who receive 10-20% of advertised speed that "UP TO" answer just driving crazy... 😞

0 Ratings