cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rtmy01
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Extremely poor BT customer care

Unfortunately I have been having wireless connection issues with my BT infinity service. I have been in contact with customer care on a number of occasions with absolutely no resolution. Calls have been scheduled for me to speak to a member of the technical team in relation to my issue and noone calls back. This had happened on a number of occasions. Weeks later I am none the wiser in regards to my line issue and the service BT are currently being PAID to provide is sub standard to say the least. If someone could help I would be greatly appreciative but failing this I will have no other choice than to seek cancellation of my contract.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Extremely poor BT customer care

Welcome to this forum.
This is a customer to customer forum only,

This is where customers help each other get the most out of BT products & services.

Anything you post here does not go to BT. Although the forum is moderated by BT, not all posts are read.
Everyone posting here, are just BT customers like myself

Are devices that are connected to the home hub using an Ethernet connection affected?

Which BT home hub do you have?

Poor wireless connection would not be a reason BT would allow cancellation without charges, while you are still in contract.

0 Ratings
rtmy01
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

It's fine trough a wired connection. It's the Wi-Fi that drops off intermittently. I've been trying too resolve the issue for weeks... They tested my line and apparently there is an issue but the simple task of phoning me back at the designated time appoiappointed by thier own people seems to be beyond thier capabilities.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@rtmy01 wrote:
It's fine trough a wired connection. It's the Wi-Fi that drops off intermittently. I've been trying too resolve the issue for weeks... They tested my line and apparently there is an issue but the simple task of phoning me back at the designated time appoiappointed by thier own people seems to be beyond thier capabilities.

If wired connections are fine it is not a problem with your line, no ISP will entertain problems with wireless as there are too many variables.

0 Ratings
rtmy01
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

It's astonishing that the people paid to give technical support couldn't have informed me of this.

Thanks for youur help.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

As far as wireless is concerned, there is a choice of 13 wireless channels, so its usually possible to find a clear one.

The smart wireless features of the home hub 4, 5 and 6, are only capable of selecting one of three channels, which makes matters worse.

If you disable smart wireless, you can manually try all of the wireless channels to find the best one with the least interference.

Channel 13 is usually a good one to try.

0 Ratings
rtmy01
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I've had sum success due to your advice.

Much appreciated...

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@rtmy01 wrote:
I've had sum success due to your advice.

Much appreciated...

2.4GHz wireless is very congested, especially in built up areas. The fact that the BT home hubs smart wireless only selects one of three channels means that if there are a number of home hubs in close proximity, those channels are going to be used up very quickly, causing interference and dropouts.

The home hubs 4, 5, and 6, do have 5GHz capability, so if you have a modern wireless device, then you may be able to use that band, but the range is shorter.

The BT shop does have devices that will create extra wireless hotspots if more coverage is needed.

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots

As this is not an issue with your Infinity line connection, I am moving this thread to the connected devices board.

0 Ratings