Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Extremely slow connection on Exchange Only line - troubleshooting

Go to solution

Hi,

Hoping someone can provide some advice and hopefully help gain some speed.  I am troubleshooting my fathers internet as he has been complaining that it is extremey slow.  He is elderly and has Parkinsons so he has struggled to make any headway with any troubleshooting on the phone to BT.  After using it for a short while I am utterly shocked at just how slow it is.

I have run the BTW speed test and and it shows a download speed of 0.48mb and upload just over 0.2mg.  To give you an idea of performance the download of flash player required to run the test took 15 minutes.  The 'further diagnostics' gives an error so I cannot determine what the IP profile is - but based upon the values reported by the homehub (old version 2) troubleshooting values (see below) and the log suggest the line is still stuck on an 576k/288k profile.  The line attenuation (31 dB) and signal to noise ( also circa 30 dB - but the logs suggest this changes quite a bit - down to around 15 dB) suggest a faster connection should be possible.  

Home hub information:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:38:12
Downstream576 Kbps
Upstream288 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationANSI T1.413
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)24.2 dB / 17.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)31.0 dB / 17.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)7.1 dBm / 11.6 dBm

Please ignore the short uptime, as mentioned below I have tried the hub on the master socket.  The previous uptime was a couple of weeks but the speed has apparantly been the same for a number of years.

Samknows confirms that this is an exchange only line (Trossachs) and only BT services are available (ADSL and ADSL max - nothing else available).

I have tried moving the hub to the master socket and the connection speed was the same.  If it were to improve the speed then I would arrange for it to be permanently connected to the master, but at the moment this would cause problems for my dad.

As far as I can tell he is stuck on a legacy IPstream service.  Is there a way to check if a different I profile would be possible?  BTW ADSL checker comes up with no information.  Just that "The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.".

I have newer hubs which I can swap out, but it looks like the low speed is down to a fixed 576/288 profile being in place.  Likewise installing on the master socket would be a permanent option if it would actually lead to improvement.

They do get occassional outages here which suggest which could be responsible - but the speed never appears to increase above the 576/288.

Any advice on how to further troubleshoot / get the line speed improved are welcomed.  The only other option would be for satellite broadband, but as a pensioner this is going to be a crippling cost.

Many thanks,

Bob

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 15

Re: Extremely slow connection on Exchange Only line - troubleshooting

Go to solution

For completeness I have just re-run the BTW speed test to show the results.

Speed test.pngfurther diagnostics.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @boboskins,

We'll be able to check his services to see what product our suppliers have him on. You can get in touch with my by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. It'll take us a few days to get back to you but we will.

Thanks

DanielS

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

A few of the log entries showing connections made:

xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 576 kbit/s, upstream: 288 kbit/s; output Power Down: 15.5 dBm, Up: 11.9 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 31.0 dB, Up: 17.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 28.0 dB, Up: 31.9 dB)

xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 576 kbit/s, upstream: 288 kbit/s; output Power Down: 15.5 dBm, Up: 12.1 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 31.0 dB, Up: 17.0 dB; snr Margin Down: 28.0 dB, Up: 31.9 dB)

xDSL linestate up (ANSI T1.413; downstream: 576 kbit/s, upstream: 288 kbit/s; output Power Down: 7.1 dBm, Up: 11.6 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 31.0 dB, Up: 17.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 17.0 dB, Up: 24.5 dB)

The only thing that worries me is that the down SNR margin has gone from 28 dB to 17 dB at some point (currenly showing 24 dB) - so **bleep** appears there is definitely something affecting the line.  That said 17 dB is still much higher than necessary - I was under the impression that ~ 6dB is the target.  The quiet line test is clear - no static, hums or hisses.

Hoping someone can shed some light.  It would greatly improve his situation to have faster internet.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks DanielS,

I have completed the contact form. Hoping you can help.

Many thanks,

Bob
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
interested to see that "something" has been bleeped out. I was the word 'it' - which I am cant see being offensive...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

which router are you using?  normally would expect modulation to be G.DMT

with 576/288 kbps that is the stats you would expect for a half meg fixed connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks imjolly,

The router is a home hub 2. I have a HH4 (and other non BT routers) that I could use but I live three hours away so can only use the HH2 for now. As it appears to be a fixed speed connection I wouldn't expect there to be any benefit of changing.

I think you are correct with the fixed half meg. I guess the real question is whether there is another (faster) option. With websites becoming very bandwidth heavy, his broadband is virtually unusable at times.

Bob
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Enter the phone number and post results. Remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks Imjolly,

Unfortunately the ADSL checker provide no information whatsoever:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ******** on Exchange TROSSACHS

--------------

This line is on a Market A Exchange.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Samknows shows the following for the trossachs exchange:

Samknows.png

I wasn't very hopeful when I saw the BTW ADSL checker result (or lack of) - but samknows suggests there may at least be ADSL max at the exchange.

Thanks,

Bob

0 Ratings