cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michelinboy
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Extremely slow downloads

I have done many speed checkers and my speed in only 1mbps and I have also done the steps on the BT Broadband speed wizard yet my speed is still very slow. We had an engineer around quite recently to fix antoher issue which was to do with a fault at our socket in the exchange. More recently though my speed has remained very slow yet I have the BT Total Broadband Option 2 with a 40GB usage and I am pretty sure I am not meant to be getting speeds this slow.

Please tell me how I can fix this.

Thanks

P.S.  My PC also got ticks on all the requirements for the Desktop Check thing.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Extremely slow downloads

welcome to the forum

please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester http://speedtester.bt.com and post the results.

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Do you have any phone extension sockets in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
michelinboy
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Also I have BT Home hub 2.0 and I have done the bt speedchecker and I am connected to a phone socket

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

you post the adsl stats from your hub by entering 192.168.1.254 into your browser and then go to adsl.  net to post the results from btspeedtester as well

without this sort of information it is difficult to give any assistance

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
michelinboy
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I went on that address but I cannot find the adsl anywhere, please could you show me where I can locate it. The results for the speed checker are:

Download Speed
7634 Kbps

0 Kbps21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 7634 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :9726 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1062 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 8580 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 4.21:16.16:79.63 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
869 Kbps

0 Kbps1062 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 869 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1062 Kbps

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

from what you have posted you have a 9.7mb connection and the profile is ok.  your throughput download is fine at 7634.

I don't use a hub now but you had to go to advanced settings in the hub and then broadband and then connection - you are looking for stats showing connection speed, modulation, attenuation, noise margin and errors

0 Ratings