cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisken16
Beginner
Message 1 of 39

Extremely slow infinity 2 after renewing contract

Hello all, I'm hoping somebody might be able to help. My parents have been on infinity 2 for the last 18 months with stable connection speeds consistently over 50mbps. As they were coming to the end of their contract they took an offer from BT to renew for another 18 months and save a little bit of money. The order also stated they should get a slight speed boost, with connection expected to be between 55 and 76mbps down. Since the date the contract renewed the speed has been very slow. I've run several speed tests with a laptop connected directly via ethernet both with the homehub and an Asus router which is the usual set up. The speed is consistently below 20mbps. No changes to hardware or wiring have been made at all. So my feeling is that something has gone wrong at bt's end when the contract renewed. I have tried explaining this to regular customer services, who suggested changing the wireless channel. After a very frustrating conversation I've decided to come here for help. I've posted results from the speed and adsl checker below. I would have thought it's fairly simple to fix, just need to speak to the right person. So would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.BTspeedtest.jpg

BTADSLChecker.jpg

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 39

Re: Extremely slow infinity 2 after renewing contract

can you post stats from your router please

check quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

sorry but finding it very hard to read info you posted as to small

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chrisken16
Beginner
Message 3 of 39

Hi thanks for the quick reply. I've done the quiet line test and couldn't detect any noise. The homehub5 is playing up and won't stay stable enough to get the stats. I have a homehub 3 and openreach modem, but I believe that the stats are in the modem and the hub can't access them? I've tried enlarging the images in my previous post, but they still appear small once posted, any ideas how I can make them readable? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I dont usually use forums.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 39

If using a PC try holding the ctrl key and right click and select view image.  It should open in a new tab.  Mobile devices just zoom the image.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 39

@imjolly

It says 55 to 76.4Mbs. If you right click on the image, you should get a "view image" option, which is bigger.

If not, I can make a copy.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 39

I am now using iPad so was able to enlarge them to make readable

you really need to post router stats as first impression is that line has been dropping connection and resulted in increase in noise margin and reduction in speed - and possibly in banded profile

unless openreach modem is unlocked you cannot access the stats so really need hh5 connected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
chrisken16
Beginner
Message 7 of 39

Thanks for the replies, I've pasted the speedtest results below.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 19.27 Mbps

0 Mbps19.36 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 19.27 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 13.55 Mbps-19.36 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 19.36 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 12.33 Mbps

0 Mbps20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.33Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

0 Ratings
chrisken16
Beginner
Message 8 of 39

I'll try the HH5 again. It's always been flakey which is why I got the Asus, which was rock solid for over 18 months.

0 Ratings
chrisken16
Beginner
Message 9 of 39

I can't get the HH5 to work even after 2 factory resets. I've pasted the stats from the Asus router below.

DSL InformationDSL Firmware VersionDSL Driver VersionDSL Link StatusDSL UptimeDSL modulationANNEX ModeDSL Exchange (DSLAM)Current ProfileSystem Vendor IDSystem Vendor Model IDModem Vendor ID
FwVer:5.5.2.7_A_A60901 HwVer:T14.F7_0.2
up
0 days 0 hours 5 minute(s) 4 seconds
ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
ANNEX A
Broadcom
17a
2605443544e00
26005443434E5A01
Line StatsTCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)SNRLine AttenuationPath ModeInterleave DepthData RateMAX RatePOWERINPINP-SHINEINP-REINCRC
 DownstreamUpstream
On
On
19.2 dB
8.8 dB
11.7 dB
24.7 dB
Interleaved
Interleaved
19999 kbps
16997 kbps
86496 kbps
24032 kbps
11.7 dbm
7.0 dbm
2.7 symbols
2.3 symbols
-
-
-
-
VDSL Band StatusLine Attenuation (dB)Signal Attenuation (dB)SNR Margin (dB)
 U0D1U1D2U2D3U3D4U4
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 39

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your connection as it will eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem

even your attainable is very low compared to the dslchecker results

0 Ratings