Hello all, I'm hoping somebody might be able to help. My parents have been on infinity 2 for the last 18 months with stable connection speeds consistently over 50mbps. As they were coming to the end of their contract they took an offer from BT to renew for another 18 months and save a little bit of money. The order also stated they should get a slight speed boost, with connection expected to be between 55 and 76mbps down. Since the date the contract renewed the speed has been very slow. I've run several speed tests with a laptop connected directly via ethernet both with the homehub and an Asus router which is the usual set up. The speed is consistently below 20mbps. No changes to hardware or wiring have been made at all. So my feeling is that something has gone wrong at bt's end when the contract renewed. I have tried explaining this to regular customer services, who suggested changing the wireless channel. After a very frustrating conversation I've decided to come here for help. I've posted results from the speed and adsl checker below. I would have thought it's fairly simple to fix, just need to speak to the right person. So would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.
can you post stats from your router please
check quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone
sorry but finding it very hard to read info you posted as to small
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I've done the quiet line test and couldn't detect any noise. The homehub5 is playing up and won't stay stable enough to get the stats. I have a homehub 3 and openreach modem, but I believe that the stats are in the modem and the hub can't access them? I've tried enlarging the images in my previous post, but they still appear small once posted, any ideas how I can make them readable? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I dont usually use forums.
If using a PC try holding the ctrl key and right click and select view image. It should open in a new tab. Mobile devices just zoom the image.
I am now using iPad so was able to enlarge them to make readable
you really need to post router stats as first impression is that line has been dropping connection and resulted in increase in noise margin and reduction in speed - and possibly in banded profile
unless openreach modem is unlocked you cannot access the stats so really need hh5 connected
Thanks for the replies, I've pasted the speedtest results below.
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
|0 Mbps||19.36 Mbps|
Max Achievable Speed
| Download speedachieved during the test was - 19.27 Mbps|
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 13.55 Mbps-19.36 Mbps .
IP Profile for your line is - 19.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
|0 Mbps||20 Mbps|
Max Achievable Speed
|Upload speed achieved during the test was - 12.33Mbps|
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
I'll try the HH5 again. It's always been flakey which is why I got the Asus, which was rock solid for over 18 months.
I can't get the HH5 to work even after 2 factory resets. I've pasted the stats from the Asus router below.
|DSL InformationDSL Firmware VersionDSL Driver VersionDSL Link StatusDSL UptimeDSL modulationANNEX ModeDSL Exchange (DSLAM)Current ProfileSystem Vendor IDSystem Vendor Model IDModem Vendor ID |
|Line StatsTCM(Trellis Coded Modulation)SNRLine AttenuationPath ModeInterleave DepthData RateMAX RatePOWERINPINP-SHINEINP-REINCRC |
|VDSL Band StatusLine Attenuation (dB)Signal Attenuation (dB)SNR Margin (dB) |
Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps your connection as it will eliminate your internal wiring as causing a problem
even your attainable is very low compared to the dslchecker results