Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rorymotorbiker
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Extremly low broadband speed after phone line went dead and was then fixed

Go to solution

There seems to be a very common issue of broadband problems after bt line faults are fixed, and mine is no exception.

Mid December my bt line went down with very loud noises and no dial tone on the line, the line was fixed but the broadband went down from 11meg connection to 244k and has not improved. I reactivated the original call complaint and a BT engineer arrived at my home and said there was an internal fault in the house, I also found out from him that there had been flooding in local cabinets, fair enough I thought there could be a fault inside the house, i'm a fax engineer and know my way around Bt wiring, so the Master socket was replaced for a BT Open reach type with built in filter and is the first thing the drop line sees within 3 metres of the line entering the house, all extensions removed except 1 which goes to Sky and my 1 house phone. i've left the BT router well alone but I see it seems to be resetting all on its own see below, it has been powered for 2 weeks and no improvement in speeds seen. It seems a pity that I pay for Unlimited broadband but the opposite is what I get. There is absolutely no noise on the line but the 0Db output power seems suspicious see below.

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 19:09:43

Downstream

283 Kbps

Upstream

446 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.5

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

31.7 dB / 30.6 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

20.5 dB / 12.1 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

0 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

0 / N/A

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

N/A / 0

Error Seconds (Local)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extremly low broadband speed after phone line went dead and was then fixed

Go to solution
Hi you are in a banded profile due to disconnections caused by your line fault you now need to leave the hub powered up and connected 24/7 for the next 5 days and once the exchange equipment sees the line as stable again it will automatically release the banding
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

the 0 power output is a bug and is not a problem.  the filtered faceplate should be as good as you get but have you tried just connecting to the test socket via a filter and see if that improves/stabilises your connection after a few days.  unless you can stop the drops in connection your noise margin will not reduce and your speed increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
rorymotorbiker
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Seems to have sorted out with better download speeds than before which suggests house wiring was also suspect.

thanks for your help but most important assurance that it would sort itself.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
glad all is ok now 😉