cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

F.T.T.C - BT going to do any Planned Speed upgrades ?

Over the last few months those with F.T.T.P. have had their speeds increased from 100Mbps to 160, and now there is an Infinity Option 4 whch gives speed up to 300Mbps. Nice if you can get it !

For the vast majority of people with F.T.T.C it appears that the max is set to 80Mbps. Does BT have any plans to increase this ?

I know that with the current limits using F.T.T.C. it would be very had to push speeds upto 160, but even an increase to 100 would be nice, or are we all stuck in the 'slower' lane ?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 19

Re: F.T.T.C - BT going to do any Planned Speed upgrades ?

Hi dsh63,

Openreach have been testing new VDSL Vectoring (ITU-T G.993.5) technology that would enable FTTC fibre broadband customers to possibly receive 100mbps+

This new technology is still being tested and developed, so there is no current plans on when Openreach will implement the new vectoring technology for FTTC broadband services

See an article from ispreview about FTTC vectoring: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/08/bt-make-final-adjustments-for-faster-fttc-broadband-vec...

Though in my opinion, those with either FTTC or FTTP are lucky and are in the fast lane. There are still many with less than 2mbps ADSL broadband with no access to any superfast-broadband services, for example myself (broadband speed between 0.8mbps to 1.5mbps)

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 19

Nice, polite reply jac. If I was you I'd be a bit brassed off by pleas for an increase from 80 to 100Mbps, which would probably be a genuine benefit to far fewer people than there are in your position.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 19

This may sound basic, but would you notice an increase from 80 to 100?

I only ask as I get 40 downstream and it seems to be fine for everything I do: streaming, downloads, iPlayer, Lovefilm. It seems so fast that I don't think I'd notice if the speed was increased. For instance, as latency is measured in milliseconds, would I notice if it went from 20ms to 10ms?

Or am I totally misunderstanding FTTC?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 19

keendartfan,

From a speed of throughput point of view,a jump from 80Mbps to 100Mbps would not be noticed for most uses of the internet.

But latency [ping] even though measured in ms can be important for online gaming,20ms is ok depending on the type of game or sim being played,but 10ms is better.

And if you are on fastpath and can play at about 3-6ms then you would notice the difference.

The download speed is important to some who download lots of large files,but for gaming the upload speed is more important than download,but only a small bandwidth of about 4Kbps is needed [upload] for most games.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 19

im just laughing at anyone thinking being stuck on 80mbps as being in the "slow lane" how fast do you think the fast lane should be? i get 75mbps and i an so happy and grateful that i can get that, i dont know why you would want more than that at the moment, yes some day in the future 80mbps may be considered slow but not now

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Hello to all,

Yes I know that Fibre broadband is faster than ADSL and ADSL2+ - how long ago when people where saying that 0.5Mbps would be fast enough for everyone when compaired to Dial-Up. But just look at how things have changed!

I still remember back in the 1980s when home computers first became popular and reading a review in my local newspaper, their teccy guy said "128K of RAM is more than enought for everyone" when he was referring to the then new Commodore 128. - which if you had a Sinclair ZX81 which came with just 1K of built-in ram can could be expanded to 64K of RAM. My 1st PC at work in 1992 had 4 Megs or RAM, today my office machine has 8 Gigs of RAM. (2 Gigs of RAM is the minimum at work).

So who will really know what will be required by tomorrow's technology - Just look at the new super HD (AKA 4K HD) which will probably be available to everyone in the next few years.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 19

Can't argue with that. But the point about the clamour for faster speeds now is it ignores the fact that many people can't use today's technology, let alone tomorrow's. That's where the priority is, and it's not personal pleading as I have Infinity 1 at the top of its range. For me and most moderate users, any more just now would be like going to Sainsbury's in an HGV to fetch the week's shopping.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

I have said this before and I feel like repeating it:

I wonder how much of the speed that is already delivered to the vast majority of users is used by them. I suspect that they never use anywhere near what they receive and what would they do with more apart from paying their ISPs to award a nice bonus to their directors.

I'll bet most could happily get by on 30Mb or even less. Unless you have multiple users streaming HD movies or playing online video games or downloading movies at the same time then in my opinion you are not needing superfast speeds above 80Mbps.

I think there is an almost unhealthy obsession with some people about how much speed they are getting and how they go into a melt down if it drops a few Mbps. I can understand being annoyed about paying for something and it not being delivered and if I bought a car and was told it would do 100mph I would expect it to do that but I wouldn't test it everyday to make sure it could.

I am aware that things can change in the future but as others have said, we should fix the present for the many before giving the future to a limited few.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 10 of 19

Upgrading from 80MB to 100MB will make little difference in latency. There is always some latency and the base latency of infinity is the same regardless of the bandwidth thats available. Admittedly if you are using over a certain percentage of your bandwidth it will increase your latency but if you are downloading something it will probablt saturate your link as much at 100MB as it does at 80.

0 Ratings