cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

FAT32 Use This Is

Go to solution

Posting here because BT themselves are useless.

I have spoken to 47 different people at BT since 8 August, trying to move to them from my earlier ISP. Broadband finally working yesterday.

Next problem: Am I correct in thinking that a network disk connected to BTHub4 via USB must be formatted as FAT32 (only)? If so, this would mean I have to go through the painful process of taking everying off my existing 1GB network drive, reformatting and restoring. More angst on the way................

Please confirm anyone.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: FAT32 Use This Is

Go to solution

There already is a comment on this elsewhere on this site. The reply was that [if I remember correctly] that BT doesn't guarantee that a HD pugged into a home hub will function correctly. I have HH4 but I havent tried that  yet. I know other non-BT hubs can work with HDs but it is down to the internal processor/programme whether that will work. If that is how it works then it must have something in common with a PC as per using FAT32 for a flash drive when installing Linux Lite on it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

I would forget using the USB port, and get a proper NAS (Network Attached Storage) instead. You will have a better connection speed, and greater security.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Well, BT do say a HDD can be connected to HH4 (somewhere), but they also claim many other things that they cannot deliver. I'll go with a NAS solution as suggested by Keith Beddoe in a later post.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Yes, that's the way to do it! Thanks.

0 Ratings