cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

FAULT ON LANDLINE, BUT BROADBAND TALK STILL WORKS.

Go to solution

I have a fault on my landline, which was reported yesterday, i have established that it is not my equipment, so have left it with BT to repair.

In the meantime, I am using my Broadband Talk as a phone, I was under the impression that when I dial "5" first it defaults to my landline number, which I did and was able to dial out. I am confused as to how this can be the case if my landline does not allow me to make outgoing calls.

Any ideas as to how this is happening?

Thank You.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FAULT ON LANDLINE, BUT BROADBAND TALK STILL WORKS.

Go to solution

If you get a change of dial tone when you press "5" and can dial-out using your landline number, then the fault is within your equipment somewhere, and you may be charged if you ask for a visit.

Unplug the microfilter from your phone socket, and plug a normal phone into the socket, if you get dial-tone, then there is nothing wrong with your phone line.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

We don't use the micro filter, the engineer said it wasn't necessary. We have BT Infinity.  I have tried 3 different phone apps but it still has no dial tone, calls in just ring continually then go to call minder as usual.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

If the phone line doesn't work and the broadband does best guess is one of the pairs has a disconnect in it but the other doesn't.

The phone service needs both to work but the broadband only needs one, although the service will reduced as you will get more resistance after where there is a break on the line with it not being twisted to help cancel out the resistance.

Also with BB Talk pressing 5 doesn't make the call out over the normal Public Switch Telephone Network, it still makes it via VoIP, its just your service provider will convert it at the Exchange to call out from your regular line and unless the disconnection is on the exchange equipment then it will still work.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Keith_Beddoe;

We don't have a Micro Filter as Engineer said it is built into Modem now, we have BT Infinity, I have tried 3 different apps but still not working, we someone dials in it just rings as usual at their end then is picked up by Call Minder as usual.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Oh right, why didn't you say you have Infinity, could be a fault with the Exchange Side Cable for the copper phone service or a disconnection on the Main Distripution Frame, as Infinity connects through a RDSLAM connected to your cabinet any faults on the line before that CAB or RDSLAM shouldn't be affected by it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

What happens if you plug a phone into the bottom phone socket as shown below?

Also, which home hub have you got?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Keith_Beddoe

The lower socket is where the phone would normally be plugged in and it is dead.

Hub is;

INFINITY HUB 2.0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

@maureen_04 wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe

The lower socket is where the phone would normally be plugged in and it is dead.

Hub is;

INFINITY HUB 2.0

I would say that all of the calls are simply being routed via Broadband Talk, an pressing "5" does not change anything.

In fact, unless there some form of connection between the the incoming phone line, and the home hub 2, I cannot see how normal landline access could work.

I am not familiar with the Infinity hub 2, so is there an additional lead from the hub to the modem or phone socket, to pick up the normal landline nunber?

As plainview has said, it does look like an external fault.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks, no other lead form Hub.

I was just confused, as the last thing I want is to be charged for an engineer visit. Sadly when speaking to the Asian call advisor, I could not get him to understand these technicalities, I think he was reading from a script. The fault is now with engineers so I will await their intervention. Thank you both for your welcomed help.

0 Ratings