cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: FEC / CRC Errors & DLM

Go to solution

Just checked, all 3 flats in this building including the shop on the ground floor get identical figures.

What's interesting is the house next door has an estimated download speed (high) of 80Mb which is clearly a lot higher than the 53.9 quoted for this building. Again, it's served by the same cabinet. I know the speed degrades with distance but it's just next door. Why do these figures vary so much?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 31

Go to solution

Ok so I think it might be the router. Just rebooted it and my sync speed went up to 36.1/9.0 (from 31.0/8.7) and now the FECs are coming in a lot slower at around a few hundred a minute as opposed to 10,000 per second.

Is it possible a faulty modem can cause the DLM to throttle speed and apply interleaving?

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 13 of 31

Go to solution

Depending on the fault, yes it's possible.

Guru
Message 14 of 31

Go to solution

@av-115 wrote:

Ok so I think it might be the router. Just rebooted it and my sync speed went up to 36.1/9.0 (from 31.0/8.7) and now the FECs are coming in a lot slower at around a few hundred a minute as opposed to 10,000 per second.

Is it possible a faulty modem can cause the DLM to throttle speed and apply interleaving?

It's rare for routers to be faulty to the point they only influence packet transmission ... they either work (of a fashion) or they don't. Chipset make and architecture can go a long way in securing a good connection. But when a modem handshakes with a dslam the resulting linespeed and modulation is the result of "test tones" ... and those tones can vary in quality according to crosstalk influence, interference at any given time (including the reboot) and any burst noise influence.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 31

Go to solution

I'm using a different router now (same ISP stock one) and this one seems worse. I'm back on 31.0/8.7, the errors are still coming in thick and fast (though I'm not sure if this correlates to the DLM throttling) and now I'm getting worse ping spikes than before (lots of yellow on the BQM graph). Time will tell if it settles down.

Really stuck as to why I'm having these problems. OR say they've fixed the line fault + my neighbours are getting nearly double my speeds. I don't understand why it won't sync at 40/10. As the router is locked down I can't see more detailed stats. Might just cancel and use my 4G data, at least then I'll expect the connection to be poor.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 16 of 31

Go to solution

Are/were you you using homeplugs? They had that exact same effect on errors reported by the Voda router, and also forced slower and slower sync speeds.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 31

Go to solution

@grantanyan

You are posting on an old thread, and the OP had not visited this forum since 03/11/2017.

Its not even a BT issue.

‎03-11-20
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 31

Go to solution

Hi @grantanyan,

You have posted on a year old thread and the OP has not been seen since.  It would be better if you stated a question of your own.

Edit @Keith_Beddoe,

Our posts crossed

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 31

Go to solution

@pompey1898 wrote:

Hi @grantanyan,

You have posted on a year old thread and the OP has not been seen since.  It would be better if you stated a question of your own.

Edit @Keith_Beddoe,

Our posts crossed

@pompey1898

Its actually nothing to do with BT anyway, its Vodaphone fibre, so I have moved the discussion to the lounge to avoid any confusion.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 20 of 31

Go to solution

Sorry if this seems rude/difficult, but I never really understand why this makes it any less relevant? Why lose all the OPs comments and discussion that adds valuable background info, by creating a new thread?

The post is still active, and readily picked up by search engines. I've offered a potential troubleshoting route to others suffering the same problems. Broadband provider in this case would also be irrelevant. And to mirror the OP comment, as a general FTTC discussion, BT and its community would (probably) be the largest single audience to go to for help. I do understand that the original location for the post might not be quite in line, though, but search engines don't really care about that, and you can bet that's where most of your traffic comes from.

0 Ratings