cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geaves
Expert
Message 1 of 12

FEC Errors

Having had a B'band boost engineer yesterday for 2 hours I'm still getting disconnects regularly and it appears to be related to FEC errors....what we did whilst he was here to eliminate the house we turned the mains off and he did another connection and even on his equipment as soon as the B'band was up he starting receiving FEC errors, this has been escalated to a rein engineer...however, here's my stats and some more info to add a twist....

Went round to my neighbour who also has BT B'band, however his isn't on 24/7 (unlike mine), he has a hub 2 I have a 3.....his connection was 4.5Mb with a Noise Margin of 7.2dB Attenuation 52.dB, the interesting part is no FEC Errors a few CRC and HEC Errors..and Latency was Fast.....

stats.png

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: FEC Errors

Hi Geaves,

I dont think the FEC's should be anything to worry about, all they show is that Interleaving is doing its job.  When you're on fastpath the router won't report FEC errors simply because error correction isn't happening.

Does your router disconnect at certain times of the day, or when it rains or is windy?

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Hi geaves,

All lines are different. Completely different. 

While I have a line with 0 errors 24/7, someone next door to me on a different line may have faulty/corroded jumpers causing them to get 100,000's of errors 24/7.

Before my jumpers were fixed, my line had over 60,000 CRC errors every day.

Looking at one of my friends' connections with a 46.0dB attenuation, he currently has: 73199864 errors corrected by interleaving over a 322 hour period and he is still happy enjoying 4Meg.

FEC errors are nothing to worry about because it just indicates that Interleaving is doing its job (They are the errors which have been corrected by interleaving).

I hope this helps

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 4 of 12

@gouledw wrote:

Hi Geaves,

I dont think the FEC's should be anything to worry about, all they show is that Interleaving is doing its job.  When you're on fastpath the router won't report FEC errors simply because error correction isn't happening.

Does your router disconnect at certain times of the day, or when it rains or is windy?

Right that explains the first part,

The disconnects or resyncs happen when the FEC errors get to 6 figures and we receive a phone call, the B'band drops and resyncs and was able to show the engineer that whilst he was here, or it resyncs when the FEC errors get to 8 figures, how do I know this....I work at home and I've dedicated 1 of my 4 screens to the hub stats page,,,,Smiley Wink so that I can log some information..

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 5 of 12

@chris6273 wrote:

Hi geaves,

All lines are different. Completely different. 

While I have a line with 0 errors 24/7, someone next door to me on a different line may have faulty/corroded jumpers causing them to get 100,000's of errors 24/7.

Before my jumpers were fixed, my line had over 60,000 CRC errors every day.

Looking at one of my friends' connections with a 46.0dB attenuation, he currently has: 73199864 errors corrected by interleaving over a 322 hour period and he is still happy enjoying 4Meg.

FEC errors are nothing to worry about because it just indicates that Interleaving is doing its job (They are the errors which have been corrected by interleaving).

I hope this helps

Smiley Indifferent Hm.....so there's another issue causing the disconnects.....he seemed to think that the FEC Errors were related to a rein issue in the area. 

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 12

You could try running a line test?  http://bit.ly/tgwip can't hurt, just to see if it picks up any problem :L.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Hi geaves this link may explain more about the FEC's http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm
0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 8 of 12

Thx guys, line test comes back with no errors which I expected....and the kitz site explains a lot.....and its just diconnected again...Smiley Mad and the fault is still showing as open... 

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 12

Have you tried plugging in two filters to where you have your telephone in the house sometimes this can help? So you still have your broadband plugged into the first filter, but your telephone's plugged into the second filter.

0 Ratings
geaves
Expert
Message 10 of 12

Hm....engineer fitted an Infinity socket which negates a filter, but might be worth a try I suppose....

0 Ratings