Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jak178
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

FEC errors

Help  I am going spare.

I have BT infinity - home hub 5.

I recently had a visit from a BT engineer who told me that my broadband was running slow and dropping out due to high FEC errors.  His machine told him the real time hits, and we managed to track down some new(ish) downlighters in the kitchen.  However he showed me that I could find the cumulative FEC errors on the BT Home Hub, under advanced options - broadband - connections - however when I now go into this it only shows

DSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 05:39:00
Downstream:32.69 Mbps
Upstream:8.221 Mbps

and nothing more.

Does anyone have any idea - 

i.  Why brand new LED downlighters would be causing the problem?

2.  How I can get hold of the FEC error reading?

3.  What I can do about it?

Many thanks - please excuse if I have got the format wrong as this is my first post.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
adri0nac
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: FEC errors

Fec errors are corrected errors bathe router, it sounds like he is suggesting a rein issue, Google " rein" [repetitive electrical impulse noise] it's well documented and may give you more of a clue,
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

what hub are you using

also FEC's are nothing to worry about they are just corrected errors
0 Ratings
jak178
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

He said the FEC errors were a reflection of REIN.  

My problem is finding where on the system it will tell me about these errors so that I can further identify what might be causing them.

Clearly if all LED downlighters caused REIN/FEC errors, then there would be a lot of houses without broadband, so I am a bit stuck.  I have even been going around with my radio tuned to 612!

If you have any ideas on where I can find any sort of DATA readouts that would be great.

0 Ratings
jak178
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I have a HUB 5

He said the system could cope with a certain number of errors - but I was getting 20k per second, when I switched on the LEDs

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

20k per second is not OK.

I suspect you have little option but to change the lights.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Have you actually run a proper speed test to confirm that it is running slow?

FEC (Forward Error Correction) errors are simply errors that have been corrected at the home hub end, and have no impact on your actual speed.

What does affect speed is CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check) errors. These are errors that cannot be corrected using FEC, and have resulted in a re-transmission request from the home hub back to the network. This does not affect the connection speed, but affects download speed. It also wastes BTs link bandwidth.

If CRC errors get very bad, the BT end of the circuit will force a restart of the home hub, in an attempt to establish a better connection. This will normally result in a drop in connection speed, and the dreaded LCP termination message on home hubs.

You need to measure the speed yourself, using the BT Speedtester.

As far as LED lights are concerned, if they are causing interference, then it would not be the lights themselves, but the LED driver unit which converts the mains voltage to one suitable for the lights.

These are switched mode power supply units, and operate at a high frequency, usually about 20KHz. Poorly designed ones can radiate interference which can extent up into the frequencies used by ADSL, but its unlikely they would reach the VDSL frequency range.

I wonder if it was the 20KHz the Openreach Field Technician was talking about, and not 20K errors?

I have quite a few LED lights, and I have only had one LED driver unit cause problems, and I am on ADSL2+. All it did was to drop the downstream noise margin by about 3DB, which did on a couple of occasions, cause my home hub to disconnect.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

@Webby wrote:
20k per second is not OK.

I suspect you have little option but to change the lights.

Not if they are continuous, but bursts of over a million have no effect.

fec1.png

fec2.png

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Just to add to my comments regarding LED lights, especially downlighters.

There are two types. One uses an LED driver as described on my last post, and the downlighters are low voltage ones. These have to be used where there is a danger of moisture ingress, usually under or inside kitchen units.

The other type are normal mains GU10 type which you can buy to replace existing ceiling lights that have halogen bulbs which run very hot, an need changing quite often.

These mains voltage replacement reduce the voltage using a capacitor and a small rectifier. These do not normally generate any interference.

Which ones do you have, ceiling ones or those that are associated with kitchen units?

jak178
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Dear all

Thank you for all your input.  I finally got an engineer to come back, as there seemed to be no correlation between the lights and the drop out.  It seems that it was misdiagnosed and the fault - in fact many faults were on the incoming line.

I much appreciate your help.  

Very disappointed in BT.

0 Ratings