cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
1,469 Views
Message 1 of 3

FIRE RISK !!

I have recently had my "Youview+" box replaced by BT (foc) having complained that it caught fire last week and might have caused a major conflagration had I not been able to disconnect it from the mains quickly.

It was in the usual 'ready to record' standby condition as it usually is, on a shelf under the TV with good airflow around.

When I opened it up (out of warranty, so what the heck), I found the ribbon-cable connector to the Hard Drive gently smoking away and melting it's plastic housing when the mains power was connected.

You might say 'That can't happen, there's only 5V on the hard-drive supply', but I can assure you that it was SMOKING although by this time there were no actual flames visible. The connector appeared to be properly engaged, but it was difficult to see while mounted in the main casing.

D91765F5-F540-4E1B-908B-0C702CB54FE1.JPG

The box serial number was :-

+067173+1327032154

The really serious thing is that the service Engineer who attanded to exchange the box, told me that this was the sixth he had changedin the last 6 or 7 weeks!!  He has been trying to get BT to publicise the danger, but to no avail, and he was pleased to make a copy of my photo, to send to his supervisor as evidence (they dont normally open faulty boxes, just return to supplier). All the faulty boxes appeared to him to come from the same batch, so you might want to check the serial number of yours to see if it simlar to mine (above).

 

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
1,426 Views
Message 2 of 3

Re: FIRE RISK !!

Hi hawthorner,

 

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

 

I'm really sorry for what happened.  That's definitely a worrying concern!  We will need to get this investigated so can you send us over your details please?

 

Click on my username and you'll see our contact link under the "about me" section.

 

Cheers,

 

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
1,237 Views
Message 3 of 3

Re: FIRE RISK !!

Hi

 

BT apologises for an issue affecting a small number of older BT Vision set top boxes, which have short-circuited safely, with no incidents of fire occurring.

 

We are aware that some customers have experienced either a burning smell or a wisp of smoke coming from their box. This has been caused by an internal lead failing, leading to a low voltage short circuit.

 

We take the safety of our products very seriously and we have fully investigated the issue, along with the manufacturer of the affected box.

 

We are confident that YouView boxes are not affected. We are happy to replace any Vision boxes that have failed in this way free of charge.

 

Thanks

Neil

 

0 Ratings