Distinguished Guru
Message 121 of 393

Re: FOX TV channel ending on BT TV

AMC is joke of a channel - part time and very poor content

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 122 of 393

Hardly say Breaking Bad, Madmen, Fear the walking dead, Manhatten, Weeds etc very poor content. Infact most of it is highly rated and award winning.
0 Ratings
Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 123 of 393

Most of those shows have already been on other channels, breaking bad has been on spike for crying out loud.
AMC is lacking enough first run original content, it doesn't even start until 7pm.
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 124 of 393

I do watch AMC but not as much as I thought I would have. Also as said AMC dont start till 7pm. OK im at work most weekdays but at the weekends AMC could have started at say 4pm or 5pm.

AMC needs to be improved a little before I will start watching that channel more than I do the now.

Darren

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 125 of 393

This also isn't the first time sky have played dirty games. They did this previously with Virgin when they pulled sky one.
0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 126 of 393

It is difficult to see a like for like replacement channel (or even one that gets close). I think the best BT could do is get some of its existing channels upgraded to HD (UKTV channels, CH5 etc), not sure how the licence fits with those (the extra ITV channels in HD would also be good).

That would at least soften the blow but it isn't looking good. I do wonder how long BT have known (or suspected) that this was going to happen.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 127 of 393

@jam2000
Yes but with a couple of exceptions they are all repeats

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
moonie2014
Aspiring Expert
Message 128 of 393

I read a long thread on Digital Spy last night, it started on the 6th jan 16 so fairly recent " Could this be why FOX was dropped?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2127059

BT to set up rival to Sky One.

0 Ratings
GeneralPostoffice
Aspiring Contributor
Message 129 of 393

Not only did Sky pull Sky One from Virgin, just after the deal was finally agreed to get it back on the service they then created Sky Atlantic (exclusive to Sky Digital platform) and shifted all their HBO and premium US Drama over to it from Sky One.  Quite a dirty trick.

I think the real issue here is that Sky realise that the game is up for selling big broadcast TV bundles and people are more and more looking to streaming services to source their shows and movies.  BT are one of the leaders here (they have to be, as they have no other platform for delivery unlike Sky who more or less own satellite TV in the UK) and Sky want to strengthen their own streaming services - especially NowTV - as well as weaken the BT competition.  This kills two birds with one stone for them.

Personally, I just view the TV channel bundle as a nice extra as I'm more into streaming on demand or sourcing the content elsewhere on the internet so I'm not overly worried but definitely BT need to do something in response to keep their platform attractive and growing. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
trypanosomiasis
Contributor
Message 130 of 393

There's an interesting article over at DigitalTVEurope from 2 February which quotes BT CEO Gavin Patterson as saying that:

"he was “very hesitant” to give forward projections based on this because of the “significant headwinds” the company faces in the shape of Sky, which has refused to wholesale its content to the telco. He said that “competing versus a dominant providers in the form of Sky” meant that growth was challenging, despite the fact that BT’s TV base is currently much lower than competitors such as Virgin Media."

Full article available here:-

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/492302/bt-updates-tv-app-with-more-channels-content/

0 Ratings