Distinguished Guru
Message 181 of 393

Re: FOX TV channel ending on BT TV

Didn't ask, wasn't interested.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 182 of 393

If u notice over the years the BT TV product has dwindled and if people aren't happy with losing channels then cancel and go somewhere else. I'm now starting to feel glad that BT messed up my order as I wouldn't have been happy taking a new contract out to only find that within a month they were removing more content.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 183 of 393

I wouldn't agree, infact up till the removal of Fox BT TV has been increasing and adding further channels, services and apps.
0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 184 of 393

If BTTV were still of the same standard and type as when it was a silver box service it would be a different product. They lost HBO they have now lost Fox. There is nothing really On Demand except catch up. Where are the other apps that could have been added to the box as part of YouView? Amazon Prime Video. Internet radio like Tune In, Mubi, Pucture Box and I am sure people can add many more.

They could have created their own movie channel like Curzon Cinema did in the days of On Digital, the choice to try and be sky lite offering a few channels, movies and two sky sports channels plus BT Sport just makes it a mush mash of a box.

i have tried to be loyal to the project.

They should have stayed out of sport altogether.

There are far more people who don't watch football than do.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 185 of 393

The old silver Box service was very poor and limited. Now its much better and much better value.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 186 of 393

Everybody has their own opinions and likes. The plain fact is if you compare the subscriber numbers on BT Vision to the subscriber numbers on BT TV you will see it is in fact a much better proposition now than it ever has been.

That said losing a major extra channel (and possibly a couple of others) really sends the service backwards.

BT have made a great move into sport with UHD and some good rights BUT they haven't done enough on the entertainment side (or even pushed YouView hard enough on the additional features side).

No WiFi box

No Remote watching recordings

No 2 way communication from the app

No non-sport UHD content (I don't count Netflix)

VERY limited additional services (no Amazon, youtube etc)

A list of features and fixes as long as your arm that have never been sorted

and now SKY have hit them hard by taking additional rights (showtime), SKY Q (with everything remote) and influence to pull major channels from the service (that could also include SKY Sports and the Nat Geo channels not to mention possibly SKY Movies).

It is always going to be awkward knowing how much to pay out for when you want to be seen as a cheaper option..there is no point going all out paying for everything then finding you have to charge as much as another operator who has already got a 10 year head start and a lot of major rights already tied up.

BT need to react or end up stalling but the problem is things take time and if they have been caught cold then they may never be able to recover.

SKY's strategy to charge a 'smart features' price that is pretty much removed if you take their BB is their direct attack for the BB share and a highly regulated BT can not stop that.

With no-one regulating SKY's entertainment offering's (I know BT have done some exclusive with AMC BUT it is different when you are trying to make ground as opposed to when you already have a massive market share).

You are always trying to fight with one hand tied behind your back.

0 Ratings
jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 187 of 393

Remote watching has only just appeared on another provider, so no doubt it will appear on BT.

I'm sure additional non sport Ultra HD content will come in the form of films.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 188 of 393

@stuartrogerson wrote:

They should have stayed out of sport altogether.

There are far more people who don't watch football than do.

If only we could share a BT TV subscription. You could have all the BT TV channels (except Eurosport) and I could have all the BT Sport channels along with Eurosport.

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 189 of 393

And there jam2000 is completely my point. As the lighter competitor the one small thing you should have is the ability to move faster. BT should not be thinking whatever someone else does we will get to it in our service eventually.

Content is king so if you haven't got the ace hand you need to use innovation to help nullify the attack and I think BT and YouView have been moving too slowly. You need to be first not reacting.

The UHD was a massive plus point but I do think BT have sat smirking about having UHD first for too long. Lets hope I am proved wrong and BT do actually have something planned JUST around the corner.

jam2000
Recognised Expert
Message 190 of 393

I'm sure they will have some new stuff on its way. They do a lot of research and development as Astral park I believe.
0 Ratings