cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 39

FTP Access

Tried calling BT Technical Support about this and they haven't a clue how to fix the problem.

I am a web designer and require a constant Internet connection to enable uploading files to a FTP web server using Adobe Dreamweaver.

When connected using Orange Mobile Broadband, I can upload and download without any problems so there is nothing wrong with my settings. However, using BT Home Hub 2, I am unable to locate the FTP host - it is as if the BT Home Hub requires a setting to be enabled. Tried disabling IPv6 (Mobile broadband doesn't use it), tried enabling FTP application sharing - still problems. Now getting totally frustrated. Everytime I wish to upload to website, I have to disconnect BT Broadband and connect using Mobile Broadband. Does anyone out there know what the problem can be. Firewall settings on home hub disabled, Zone Alarm firewall using same settings as Mobile broadband. Even tried changing WLAN connection to OpenDNS servers but still no success.

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
mccann
Contributor
Message 2 of 39

Re: FTP Access

I'm not sure if this will help but I see you've turned the firewall off, have you also tried setting up port forwarding/application sharing?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 39

@computerjunkie1506 wrote:

Tried calling BT Technical Support about this and they haven't a clue how to fix the problem.

I am a web designer and require a constant Internet connection to enable uploading files to a FTP web server using Adobe Dreamweaver.

When connected using Orange Mobile Broadband, I can upload and download without any problems so there is nothing wrong with my settings. However, using BT Home Hub 2, I am unable to locate the FTP host - it is as if the BT Home Hub requires a setting to be enabled. Tried disabling IPv6 (Mobile broadband doesn't use it), tried enabling FTP application sharing - still problems. Now getting totally frustrated. Everytime I wish to upload to website, I have to disconnect BT Broadband and connect using Mobile Broadband. Does anyone out there know what the problem can be. Firewall settings on home hub disabled, Zone Alarm firewall using same settings as Mobile broadband. Even tried changing WLAN connection to OpenDNS servers but still no success.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, which may help to solve the problem.

How long has this been happening ? What is the ftp host - e.g is it a specific ISP web host ? What ftp client program are you using ?

There can be numerous reasons for failure, including a "stale" IP address. A power cycle to get a new IP address may help.

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 39

Hi computerjunkie, Welcome to the forums 🙂

Have you tried forwarding creating a new 'Application' on the homehub with Port 21 as the port?

Port 21 is the usual default FTP port.

Good luck 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
mitchy
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 39

I'm running into alot of problems running my own FTP server, no one can log into it at all.

Firewall off, UnPn on, All port's Forwarded.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 39

Hi there, thanks for your response.
Set up FTP application sharing with the exact same problems.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 39

Hi there.
I've never been able to upload to FTP server with BT Home Hub. Doesn't just fail with 1 FTP host - doesn't work with any at all. FTP Client program - Adobe Dreamweaver CS5. I've tried power cycling, I've given WLAN connection a static IP address, changed DNS servers to OpenDNS, Google, etc. and back again still without success. Technical support have admitted they don't know what the problem is and can't fix it. Works OK with mobile broadband connection.
0 Ratings
subair37
Contributor
Message 8 of 39

Hi

this making me to think abt cancelling my order with BT ,cause i put my order yesterday to BT and i am with another provider now and i an upload and download from and to my ftp using filezilla ftp client with out any problems , i am bit worried now if i cannote connect to my ftp server using bt home hub and download and upload using bt home hub , please some one help me guys

Any one really have problems here using connecting bt home hub to ftp server Please throw u r experiences here..............

0 Ratings
subair37
Contributor
Message 9 of 39

Hi

I just found this , but i dont know is this any useful to you Please check this link.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/BT/BTHomeHub/FTP.htm

Try this and see it works computer junkie

0 Ratings
mitchy
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 39

I tried that for FTP and done the same for MSN Messenger as the new BT HomeHub(Infinity) wont let msn stay online for longer than an hour
0 Ratings