Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subair37
Contributor
Message 11 of 39

Re: FTP Access

hi

thanks for coming up with an answer so with the link i provided can you successfully connect to ftp ? i dont use msn but i use yahoo messenger , what i been told by one of my friend is u can use a Netgear router insted of BT Home hub and use the username and password provided by BT on Netgear it will work with out any problems.......some one tried this ..........

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 39

ftp works perfectly here no settings on hub changed from default here
0 Ratings
g4ugm
Message 13 of 39

FTP from home networks can be problematic because by default the remote server tries to connect back to your PC, and if you are using NAT (The default for most home networks) it sometimes can't. Look to see if the tool you are using supports PASV and if so try turing it on as this allows the client to open the second connection. Make sure you are not using ftps as this stops the router seeing the traffic and correcting for NAT.

I use FTP from frontpage to publish sites on FastHosts and it works fine with my HomeHub II on Infinity.

Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 39

Ftp works both ways on my version 1.0 hub, but I was asked to try a new version 2.0 hub. I was unable to make it work, as the hub kept crashing
I suspect that there is a problem somewhere..
0 Ratings
Pan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 39

It seems there are major issues with BT Infinity and FTP. For years I've used CuteFTP and CoffeeCup to FTP files to my server via BT HomeHub and 'BT Total Broadband' package without any trouble. The day they upgraded me to BT Infinity all my computers failed to FTP anything!

After 2 weeks and umpteen calls and hours on the phone to BT I got so many conflicting messages from each person I spoke to I no longer believe anyone at BT. One lot were telling me my you can only FTP if you have a BT 'Business' account which turned out to be b****cks after I told him that I've been FTPing at home with my BT account for over a decade and if I can't FTP with Infinity thats a step backward in technology not a step forward.

Then I was told my computer must have developed a fault (the same day Infinity is activated? Co-incidence or what!)I progressed to 'have you tried re-installing 'Windows' till I asked them if they thought that co-incidentally something went wrong with Windows on 4 separate computers at exactly the same time? They took remote-control of my computer and fiddled for ages with my computer and Hub firewall and channel settings, but finally admitted that there was a problem but had no idea why we were getting 'error 500' and 'error 550' messages whenever together we tried to FTP a file.

Eventually I said get rid of Infinity and put me back to Total Broadband because I lost 2 weeks work by now. Surprise, surprise the minute Infinity was switched back to 8 MB Total Broadband every computer suddenly worked again! They tried to get me to pay the 18 month contract Infinity cancellation fee until I said that, in that case, they could explain their mega BT Infinity f**ck-up in court when I sued them for nearly 2 weeks loss of earnings. That 15 second conversation ended there with them seeing things from a my point of view. What planet do they come from, honestly?

They suggested I try BT Infinity in a couple of months once they've looked into the BT Infinity FTP issues that they finally admitted there plainly were.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 39

Oh oh. This looks like a MAJOR problem with Infinity!!! Smiley Sad I shall follow this thread with interest. I don't often use FTP but when I do I need it.

wedding

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 39

@subair37 wrote:

Hi

this making me to think abt cancelling my order with BT ,cause i put my order yesterday to BT and i am with another provider now and i an upload and download from and to my ftp using filezilla ftp client with out any problems , i am bit worried now if i cannote connect to my ftp server using bt home hub and download and upload using bt home hub , please some one help me guys

Any one really have problems here using connecting bt home hub to ftp server Please throw u r experiences here..............

I have no problems with ftp transfer with filezilla cuteftp flashfxp (my fave) to  several sites but dont have infinity will watch with interest not that infinity will ever come here Smiley Very Happy

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 39

@Pan wrote:

It seems there are major issues with BT Infinity and FTP.

I doubt that very much - it's just ordinary TCP traffic on particular ports.

Does your software create any logs of the attempted FTP sessions ?  If it does, are there any clues in there ?

Are you using PORT(active) or PASV(passive) mode ?

0 Ratings
Brighton_Rock
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 39

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:
Ftp works both ways on my version 1.0 hub, but I was asked to try a new version 2.0 hub. I was unable to make it work, as the hub kept crashing
I suspect that there is a problem somewhere..

I use a Hub 2A and have no difficulty with FTP so there isn't a universal problem with the Hub 2.

But, of course, that doesn't say anything about the issue with FTP and Infinity which started this thread. I don't see why it would affect FTP but there is the little trap of BT's Web Address Help that has caused other problems. http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi  It might be worth computerjunkie1506 (the OP) checking that service is disabled, even if it doesn't help with his immediate problem.

Michael
0 Ratings
RacingLine
Beginner
Message 20 of 39

I kind of saw this coming...

I have a three-way FTP network between myself and two colleagues.

For a long while while I have been able to FTP into Colleague 1's Orange Broadband account from my Opal/Nildram line, while Colleague 2, on BT Broadband, cannot FTP to Colleague 1.

I migrated to Infinity today, and guess what - I can no longer FTP to colleague 1 - it was fine yesterday.

I've tried Brighton_Rock's Web Address  advisor tip, but it's not helped 😞

Neil

0 Ratings