Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 39

Re: FTP Access

@subair37 wrote:

Hi

this making me to think abt cancelling my order with BT ,cause i put my order yesterday to BT and i am with another provider now and i an upload and download from and to my ftp using filezilla ftp client with out any problems , i am bit worried now if i cannote connect to my ftp server using bt home hub and download and upload using bt home hub , please some one help me guys

Any one really have problems here using connecting bt home hub to ftp server Please throw u r experiences here..............

I use FileZilla to upload files more or less daily.  FileZilla works fine with my HH2b on Infinity and I haven't had to mess about with any settings at all.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
RacingLine
Beginner
Message 22 of 39

After a three day fight I've mostly got FTP working - sort-of -  through the home hub (black model, V2.0 type B and the badged HG612 BT Infinity vdsl modem

Here's my settings - hope it helps!

• In Application Sharing set FTP to your ftp server (I'm sing a D-link Sharecentre Pulse, aka DNS-320, that i have allocated a fixed IP to on my network - subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.1.254) - I think my old DG setting of 192.168,1.255 was not helping)
  • Firewall set to "defaullt" (Allow outgoing and Application sharing
  • DMZ is Off
  • Port Clamping is off
  • UPnP is On
  • Dynamic DNS is set up with dyndns .org

The DNS-320 is set up to use Passive Mode default ports.  (55536-55663) - there is an option to report an external IP address in Passive Mode to clients in it's configuration that I think might help, except I'm on a dynamic IP address, so it doesn't 🙂 I might investigate getting a fixed IP from BT.

For the record, I also flashed the DNS-320 to the latest firmware available on the d-link web site (2.0 - looks like a beta)

If Filezilla I've set my site up as:

• Server type (General tab)  - FTP
  • Logon Type - Normal
  • Server type (Advanced tab) - Default - the rest of the advanced tab is not filled in
  • Transfer mode - Default
  • Charset - Autodetect

One thing to watch out for is that Filezilla fails to connect on the first attempt after you launch it, but if I try again - without relaunching filezilla -  it goes straight in

These are the errors I see on the first attempt

If Filezilla is configured for Passive mode the error test  you get is

• Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (192,168,1,111,217,41)
    Status: Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead.
    Command: MLSD
    Error: Connection timed out

Add if Filezilla is configured for Active mode  the error I get is

• Command: MLSD
    Response: 425 Could not open data connection to port 64130: Connection refused
    Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

But in either Active or Passive mode it works right off the bat if I try to connect again

Hope that helps people get up and running - shout if you have any questions, or any ideas on how to get the thing working a bit better.

Neil

0 Ratings
techuk377
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 39

Hi all,

FTP "file transfer protocol" has to be set up correctly to work. What you have to remember is IP traffic is bi-directional. I mean it go's both ways.

FTP out bound connections from your PC to a server on the web should always work provide the destination server allows connections from any IP.

In bound FTP connections is a different matter all together. The router / firewall must be set up correctly and forward all traffic using the FTP port to the destination machine on your local LAN. If you are a serious user of FTP you need to use the right hardware because you need to set up a NAT statement to forward all FTP traffic to the Destination PC. Example below...

Outbound:

Source:         Port:        Destination            Port:

"your PC"        21          "server on web"      21

when you connect from yopur PC the destination server will only see the reqeuts come from your Router /Firewall WAN ip on Port 21

but for incoming connections to you need to set up a NAT or port forward rule.

inbonud to you:

Source:       

any if you want any one to access your FTP server

Port: = 21

Destination: local PC to be natted useing port 21 only

unforunatley the Home hub was design for home use only when we start to want more granular configuration this is time to upgrade to a more functionila peace of kit i.e draytek 2820 netgear 300 or at the top end sonicwall or Cisco but you will need to uderstand have to confgue these routers/firewalls.

if you are really really suck i can help remotely

Techuk377

0 Ratings
RacingLine
Beginner
Message 24 of 39

> if you are really really suck i can help remotely

That's a really kind offer techuk337, but you might want to spell-check it 🙂

The thing is, I've had FTP running for ages on different ISPs and different hardware, and not had any major problems - certainly none that's taken three days to sort out.

Lack of documentation and access to the hardware and software is the problem here - the HH is pretty limited  from a troubleshooting point of view - without access to the firewall logs on the HH, and with no access or documentation whatsoever to the HG612, how would you figure out which piece of kit is not handling FTP correctly, let alone resolve the issue?

I've not got as far as phoning BTs tech support, though from what others have said in forums they won't be much help. Take a look at this thread, where BT "confirms" that they are "withdrawing support for FTP" - what a load of....

http://www.filesaveas.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1296168782

Neil

0 Ratings
reme8488
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 39

@RacingLine wrote:

I've not got as far as phoning BTs tech support, though from what others have said in forums they won't be much help. Take a look at this thread, where BT "confirms" that they are "withdrawing support for FTP" - what a load of....

Neil

I'd take that with a pinch of salt in all honesty Neil.  Reading the post you linked to the poster rang BT and was told that by someone; no doubt in India who obviously has just tried to fob the poster off as the topic was not on the script or something they hadn't a clue about or didn't want to waste their time on.

Kind regards... Tom

BT Infinity2:
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 26 of 39

@RacingLine wrote:

> if you are really really suck i can help remotely

That's a really kind offer techuk337, but you might want to spell-check it 🙂

The thing is, I've had FTP running for ages on different ISPs and different hardware, and not had any major problems - certainly none that's taken three days to sort out.

Lack of documentation and access to the hardware and software is the problem here - the HH is pretty limited  from a troubleshooting point of view - without access to the firewall logs on the HH, and with no access or documentation whatsoever to the HG612, how would you figure out which piece of kit is not handling FTP correctly, let alone resolve the issue?

Neil

Hi Neil.

Are you only using it for pictures ?

You have access to free Flickr Pro accounts, which enables privacy "friend/family" only access to pictures - as well as setting "guest" access via a token system you send to colleagues.

You do also have webspace access (albeit 50MB) which allows people to download any uploaded files. However if anyone knows the website URL and any folder structure they can access the files.

There is also the Digitial Vault which is a given 5GB of space - enabling storage of various items. Again this allows access via a "token" URL which you can send to people and they can download any files.

The problem of course comes with other people trying to upload to any of those areas if that is needed.

When they say that they are "withdrawing support" for FTP - that can have two meanings frankly, one being removing the service altogether, and the other more likely one being that the helpdesk may be unable to help with any issues faced. This latter one doesn't mean that FTP can't be done.

0 Ratings
techuk377
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 39

You first need to determine in which direction your traffic flow issue lies.

Is it out bound and in bound or is it just in bound ? If it is just in bound this is most certainly the HH config.

I do actually work for part of BT in which I design and build large networks so I am sure I can fix this issue.

Tech

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 28 of 39

I'm pretty sure the original topic of this thread is simply about running an FTP client (eg. FileZilla) locally and FTP'ing files to a remote server (uploading / downloading files to public webspace). This really should not be a problem and should work out of the box with default settings. I've only been a customer of BT for a week, but this works OK for me... BT Infinity, Home Hub 3, default settings.

The only situation this may not work is if you are wanting to connect to (free) webspace provided by your old ISP - you probably have to be connected via your old ISP in order to do this - a restriction imposed by them, not BT. eg. You might not be able to FTP to (free) Orange webspace via a BT connection.

Another query... does DreamWeaver run an FTP Server?

(If, however, you are wanting to run an FTP Server locally and allow inbound connections - as some of the posts above are suggesting - then yes, you would need to customise your settings and setup port forwarding etc. As you would with any local network / router, not just BT.)

0 Ratings
Remoh1
Contributor
Message 29 of 39

I'm not on infinity im on option 3 but my download speed went up from 8mb to 15mb recently and ever since I have been unable to FTP properly, I can connect to the server but I cannot get a directory listing. I am able to upload files but the dir listing fails everytime. I have had other people log into my ftp host to make sure it works fine. Looks like its something that happens when BT increase your speed above 8mb
0 Ratings
woodyola
Message 30 of 39

Hi, I was in exactly the same situation - web designer needing full time access to FTP to upload and download files - was running Captain FTP on a mac and after switching to BT Broadband option 3 with BT Home Hub 2 could no longer gain access - I installed File Zilla 3.4.0 and it works a treat - I don't have the reason why BT Home Hub doesn't work with all FTP clients however but it's a quick fix (if on a mac)
0 Ratings