cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamborock
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

FTP Port Forwarding

I am trying to open port 21 to allow my me to use my network attached storage on FTP. This worked fine before I moved to BT but I know I now need to set up DDNS - however before I do that I have to check the port is open.

I have found the TAB in the HUB manager that lets me do this and it has set the FTP option and recognised my storage unit as it is displaying the units MAC address.

However, when I check with an application such as http://canyouseeme.org/ it says that port 21 is not open and in trying it has timed out.

I can't really see what can be wrong - the BT HUB (brand new) says the port should be open, and the storage unit is powered and set up for FTP - the unit has been powered cycled and held its settings but obviously changed IP address, and still the port is not being reported as open.

Any suggestions would be welccome as I need this working very soon.

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTP Port Forwarding

Hi Jamborock

I can have this chased up with the product guys email me using the contact us form in my profile (its in the section about me)

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Provided that you are NOT using a home hub 3, then you need to assign the FTP application to the address of the storage unit. This will allow port 21 to pass through the home hub firewall.

Protocol TCP

Start port address 21

End port address 21

map to local port 21

Trigger port (leave blank)

There should already be a suitable pre-defined under the "games and applications" section.

You will need to get a free DDNS account and host name from a suitable provider, like dyndns.org , and enter these details into the home hubs dynamic DNS settings.

If you are using a home hub 3, I believe that port forwarding is not working at the moment.

0 Ratings
timsoane
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Up until "if you are not using Home Hub 3" this looked as though it might fix my issue.  So I have HH3.

I have set up an FTP server on my PC.  Works fine locally on the LAN, but I want to be able to see it on the public IP address from other locations.  

I have added the PC to the port forwarding for FTP server in the router advanced setting, but it does not seem to allow a connection.

Any help much apprecuiated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

0 Ratings
timsoane
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks.  From that it looks as though I have to wait for a firmware update...

0 Ratings
anandpr1602
Message 7 of 8

Dear Keith,

I'm using HH3 and have been following this thread.  I've been having troubles setting up an FTP server (both using FileZilla and native Windows7 FTP protocols).  I have BT infinity 2 and even after following the suggestions made in this thread, port forwarding simply doesnt seem to work for me.

It'll be great if you can help!

Cheers,

Anand

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Have you followed all my instructions, including using a static IP address for your PC? What static IP address are you using?

0 Ratings