Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dave80
Message 1 of 11

FTP Uploading issues

Hi

I am a web designer and have been uploading fine to my server and a collleagues server, but we just have a new server (Linux cloud server with Rackspace) and I have the following issues:

I can connect and quickly browse files and folder on the server via FTP.  However, when I try and upload a group of files, they are timing out.  Strangely, I can upload the odd file and it's very slow but does seem to upload ok.

But a folder of files, just times out!

My colleague has tried to replicate the problem, but he has no issues uploading to the server and says the files upload very fast.  He has also asked other people to try it and it's fine for them, so I have narrowed the problem down to some sort of issue between my BT Broadband or my equipment (such as the Home Hub).

What could be causing this issue? - Where do I start to try and solve this problem??

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTP Uploading issues

Do any of your colleague or the other people involved use Bt as a ISP.

This could narrow it down even further.

My homehub3 does not need any port forwarding or anything like that. FTP works out of the box

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
dave80
Message 3 of 11

I've asked that question, I'll let you know what they say.

This is on the Homehub 2.0

I've used FTP on it loads and it's been great until we got this new server.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hello,

File uploads can be very dependant on your upstream bandwidth. Due to the nature of ADSL it is Asymmetric (i.e Download connection speed is boosted at the expense of Upload connection speed).

It would be useful to post your ADSL stats:

In a Web Browser:
http://192.168.1.254
Click on A-Z in the top right
ADSL Settings
Copy and paste all the information from that into this forum post.

There is another post on the Forums regarding running an FTP server locally (which effectively means that people downloading your stuff are using the Upload capability [phew]). This is actually the same problem as yours - [Downloads from a local server] == [Uploads to a remote server]

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Infinity-Option-2-FTP-Upload-Speeds/td-p/199839/page/2

I don't think they've found any evidence of traffic shaping, but it might be worth you following that thread.

I find that SFTP is a much better alternative to FTP generally. Much More reliable and more secure and all your traffic is encrypted end to end. I use it to upload to my Web Hosting sites as FTP has always been a bit flakey for me (and I always forget to set to binary mode :-(). I'm fairly sure Rackspace will allow you to do this. Certainly worth investigating.

Hopefully this will be some pointers,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 11

Also are you both using the same FTP client, if so, might be worth checking that you both have the same settings

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
dave80
Message 6 of 11

tokneem - Thanks for that, I have I've tried multiple clients and I've tried varying between active and passive, no joy.

Here is the info from my router, nice and quick, not a speed issue, it's something else:

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time4 days, 09:54:32
Downstream13,192 Kbps
Upstream1,144 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.5 Annex A
Latency typeFast
Noise margin (Down/Up)7.4 dB / 5.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)29.9 dB / 11.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up)21.5 dBm / 1.7 dBm
0 Ratings
dave80
Message 7 of 11

Just found out, one colleague has BT and it worked fine

0 Ratings
philip57
Message 8 of 11

I have had the same problem today using a BT HomeHub 2 but FTP started working again after I enabled the application FTP in the Advanced Settings of the Hub Manager

BT Home Hub 2 enabling FTP.jpg

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

Hi , Glad it worked for you, but unsure if the need for port forwarding was the problem.

i have a HH3 and do FTP and also some P2P and this is with a default set up in the homehub. I have not set up Portforwarding for anything and it works fine.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
raymie67
Expert
Message 10 of 11

I would not think port forwarding is the problem, that is more for uninitiated connected coming into your machine and not for a connection you start (much the same way that you don't need port forwarding to browse the internet but if you runa web server you need it to allow incoming port 80 connections to get to the correct machine).

I had a similar issue once however moving from my old client software to filezilla fixed it for me, if you have not tried that client you may want to give it a go (it's free)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was helpful then please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question fully then please select ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings