cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
paulh00
Message 1 of 11

FTTC Cabinet Upgrade

Hi,

After checking when Infinity would be available in my exchange (Morpeth [available from today 31/12/11]) and then going to place order it turns out the exchange being enabled is not an indication of being able to get Infinity?

After reading various posts it turns out that a new fibre cabinet needs to be installed.

• Is there any way of checking if a new cabinet is planned and when it might be planned for?

As far as I can see, checking if the exchange has been upgraded is a pointless exercise as this does not answer your question of availability?

Thanks.

Paul

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTC Cabinet Upgrade

The only thing you can do is keep checking https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html. Input your phone number and it'll tell you if your line supports infinity or if there are any plans for it in the future. If there's nothing on there then it's unlikely that anything is planned for your cabinet I'm affraid.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
paulh00
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Webby, the whole thing seems a bit of a con, as it was always 'check to see if your exchange is ready' only to find when it is ready that it could be as low as 40-50% of that exchange area that might be eligible.

I am really furious that BT could mislead in such a way??

Thanks.

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

I understand your frustration. 

I think misleading is a bit of strong word, it's not as if you were told you could get infinity and now you can't. Although I do appreciate that it may build hopes up! 

I don't know the rhyme or reason as to why only a certain number of cabs are chosen, or indeed which cabs are chosen. For example, there's 3 new housing estates where I live, served off 3 different cabs. The cabs are within about 400m of each other yet only 1 is getting FTTC.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
paulh00
Message 5 of 11

I understand there is some reasoning around the cabinet upgrades but as you say there are clearly some obvious errors in their process of chosing these.

I think the communication to date is misleading, it has always been to wait for the exchange to be upgraded, I dont ever recall there being a tag line saying that it might still not be available if your cabinet is not upgraded?

Anyway more waiting to see out come.

By chance is there any way to check with BT directly of their plans for the cabinet upgrade rollout rather than wait and see??

Thanks.

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

@paulh00 wrote:

I understand there is some reasoning around the cabinet upgrades but as you say there are clearly some obvious errors in their process of chosing these.

I think the communication to date is misleading, it has always been to wait for the exchange to be upgraded, I dont ever recall there being a tag line saying that it might still not be available if your cabinet is not upgraded?

Anyway more waiting to see out come.

By chance is there any way to check with BT directly of their plans for the cabinet upgrade rollout rather than wait and see??

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul, you didn't come back with what the wholesale checker said about infinity.

This is what openreach say on there site:

1. because some postcodes are served by more than one exchange, the postcode checker can’t identify the specific exchange serving your property. But by showing all the exchanges nearby, you'll be able to track their progress as they become enabled for superfast fibre broadband;
  2. we like to make superfast services available as soon as possible so when we declare an exchange is 'accepting orders', all the street cabinets in the exchange area may not have been completed yet. This takes time, so please be patient with us.
  3. in many exchange areas not every cabinet can be upgraded.

The easiest check to see if it is available soon is to look for you nearest Green street cabinet. You are likely to be connected to this. If and when it has a new green Fibre cabinet placed within close proximity to it then fibre could be available within a few months.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
LParr4
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Hi Paul,

Here's a link to the PCP postcode report from April '11 which shows which cabinets were planned to be upgraded at that time.  Obviously this was subject to change but it will give you a better idea if your cabinet is to get Infinity.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gf8fwdbl3092xu2

LP

0 Ratings
paulh00
Message 8 of 11

Hi LParr4,

I have checked the PCP spreadsheet and my postcode is not even on there?? I have mapped some of the other postcodes in the village around me but there is no information associated with the cabinets it referes too?

There has not been any work on the street cabinets that I have seen and no new cabinets that I can see, I'm starting to wonder if we will be on the seeming large list of places not getting fibre!!

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

@paulh00 wrote:

Hi LParr4,

I have checked the PCP spreadsheet and my postcode is not even on there?? I have mapped some of the other postcodes in the village around me but there is no information associated with the cabinets it referes too?

There has not been any work on the street cabinets that I have seen and no new cabinets that I can see, I'm starting to wonder if we will be on the seeming large list of places not getting fibre!!

Paul

I think your looking on the black side at the moment.

The rollout is a continual thing, ongoing all the time. If its not on this round , it could be on the one after that and so on.

I have had fibre on my exchange and cabinet from the first round , around about July. They are still doing some upgrading of cabinets in our exchange area, but it could be a year or more before they would all be done.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
sy5gtt
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The new December cabinet list is out but under strict lock and key.
0 Ratings