Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

FTTC Confirmed on my Cab and Neighbour can get it but I can't

Go to solution

Hello all,

I have seen others with a similar problem to mine.

I live in a 2007 developed block of flats in Cheltenham.  My Neighbour who is 50 yards away can get the BT Faster Total Broadband at 9-15MBs and yet I cannot.  We are both linked to the same Cabinet and the Cheltenham Exchange server is FTTC ready.

I phone BT sales who gave me some milarky about Cheltenham having 2 exchanges and I am randomly on the exchange thats not unabled which I cannot believe.

The DSL Checker used to say my Cabinet had a Fibre Technology but this has now magically disappeared as of today......

I spoke to an engineer at the new cab who confirmed my residence was hooked to the FTTC Cab fine.

So Fustrated any help would be appreciated.

PS. My Cabinet in Cheltenham is 210

Regards

Lewis Brooks

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTC Confirmed on my Cab and Neighbour can get it but I can't

Go to solution
You need to contact one of the mods with your contact details mate, they'll be able to answer any questions
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

News to me that Cheltenham has two exchanges! The problem with slow speeds in many parts of town is precisely because of a single exchange in the centre (near the Town Hall) serving everyone. 

I understood 210 had gone live. Certainly several visits have been made to the cab, including a power company. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Just received the following

"Hi Lewis,

I have ran a check on your address and I am afraid that the Infinity service is not available for you. Your neighbour must be connected to a different Cab. All lines are routed form the exchange differently and this is not unheard of, but i realise that it must be disappointing.

My best advice would be to register your interest via www.bt.com/infinity and the site will keep you up to date on the availability."

So how do I find out which cabinet I am on??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

All,

Thought I would reply back and solve this posting.  After complaining to BT they checked my area which was Infinity enabled but the checker was not updated to include my area.

I have now applied for Infinity!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Lewis,

Who did you contact/complain to get this resolved? I am in a similar situation...

Thanks

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

I PM'd you the details David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Hi,

I am in the same boat, in a relatively new build block in central Cheltenham, less than 1km from the exchange as the crow flies, though with a rotten slow ADSL rate. I have been holding out since I moved in for the Infinity rollout last December, but the 'what can I get' widget tells me I can only get ~2mb/s - the one big downside to my new place; I had 50mb/s VirginMedia in my old place in Benhall 😞

I'm filling in the form to check it out since I've sent several emails to BT so far and had no useful answer!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

On my way to work this morning I saw an OR van parked at the end of Hester's Way Road, where it joins PEW (and opposute PCP 36 on the corner). Asked the chao if he was working on fibre, and he said that he was preparing the cab for an upgrade. He said that they were doing further uplifts around Cheltenham, which was good news as I thought they'd done all they;d planned to get started and would be some time before more get done.

Still no use to me: no sign of work (other than preliminary rodding work in December) for PCP 122 on Village Road (mine) but No. 137 at the top of Village Road now has some white markings beside it with "2 x DSU" and some arrows nearby. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Hi Lewis,

Could you also PM me the info?

My neighbours can get infinity and they are on the same cab as me. I expect it is because our houses are different postcodes and also relatively new build that the checker is wrong....

I stopped and spoke to an OR engineer at our local cab [<100m away and is a fibre cab]. He confirmed by looking at the patching of the cables that our house does indeed terminate in that cab and suggested an issue with the checker.

I tried the generic 0800 number but simply got the "computer says no" answer...

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Ratings