cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
earnshac
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

FTTC / FTTP Availability

Wanted to see if the members of this board could help explain a couple of things:

According to the OpenReach checker (http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/) my cabinet (Dormans Park 3) is listed as "AO", so I should be able to order a FTTC product.  However, accordering to BT's DSL checker (http://www.dslchecker.bt.com) there isn't a FTTC product available to me (see below graphic):

DSL Checker.jpg

From what I've read about the FTTC technology, this may be as a consequnce of the fact that I'm about 1 mile from my cabinet, and that this would give me too slow a speed, and I'm therefore not being offered it.  Is this likely to be the case?

Also, and this is where it gets quite curious, back in September OpenReach ran new fibre cables underground all the way from the cabinet (I think) to practically outside my house (the other side of the road to be exact).  The fibre cable has been coiled up attached to the telegraph pole for a couple of months with this sticker on it:

Fibre Sticker.jpg

Does this mean that I potentially have a fibre connection directy outside my house that runs back to my cabinet, and if so, might this mean that I could get a FTTP connection?

Would apprecaite any suggestions as I'm getting rather fed up with my 1.5Mb (on a good day) connection...

Thanks

Craig

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTC / FTTP Availability

You are not able to get FTTC Infinity because it is not offered on the cabinet you are connected to. This could be because of the distance as you have suggested.

You can get FTTP on Demand (Fibre To The Premises on Demand) as that is offered however I believe it is very expensive and is aimed at commercial use and while the cabinet is enabled for it not all ISPs will supply it..

See link for wholesale prices 

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=0WyIM7tTGGgucF...

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Have you contacted Superfast Surrey? http://superfastsurrey.org.uk/

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
earnshac
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the comments so far:

@gg30340 - Thanks for the link to the FTTP pricing; I'd seen this before, which is part of the logic behind my initial post.  I'm just about ok with the one off connection fee, and annual fee, for FTTP if that ends up being my only option (ie if the technology for FTTC can't deliver to the distance that I am from the cabinet).  I was thinking that I might be able to avoid the very high fees associated with putting the fibre down from the cabinet to my house (which would be a deal-breaker) on the basis that it looks as though OpenReach have installed fibre that runs from the cabinet to about fifteen feet from my house.  Is there a way to find out which providers do offer FTTP?

@ray_dorset - I am in discussions with SuperFastSurrey at the moment as they're the BDUK provider for my area, however the message I'm getting from them is that, whilst I'm in an area that their roll out covers, I won't be able to get any service from them.  

I'm hoping that someone on here is able to advise what the notes on the lable attached to the fibre across from my house mean (included in my original post) so that I can see if SuperFastSurrey are able to help with something like a FTTP connection if they're not going to be able to help with a FTTC connection.  

0 Ratings
ray_dorset
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

As you can see, FTTP is available to you from your cabinet. This also means that your cabinet is FTTC-enabled, but as you say you may be too far away to get FTTC.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings