Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

FTTC / FTTP etc

Go to solution

Hello,

I used to be on business BB back in the day as we couldn't yet get residential, so Infinity was provided with an Openreach box etc. I think this was to the cabinet? Then we switched to residential after 2 years as it was available and cheaper that way. 

We are due to move soon as thought we were ok for Infinity (I run my own business at home and quick internet is an absolute must really). However the cabinet is full and there's waiting lists, of which I cannot find out where I sit on it. Nor can I go back on business to get a line installed, as both are full... 

The helpful chap at BT tells me I have options to run a fibre cable to my premises from the exchange? (which is miles away), wait for the waiting list or move onto 4G etc, which I'm open to, but unsure about. 

What is the best option here? How much is a fibre connection from exchange (presuambly?) to home likely to be? A fortune? But if waiting lists are 2 years..... It's a balance... Any steer would be good, I've looked on the various checkers for lines etc. 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: FTTC / FTTP etc

Go to solution
FTTPoD or fibre to the prem on demand is exceedingly expensive. You're looking at many thousands of pounds to install then many hundreds of pounds per months on a 3 year contract. It's aimed at businesses. These costings are purely from Openreach, Wholesale and BT Retail (when they offer it) will add their bit profit on too.

As for the waiting list, you just need to keep checking. Openreach will be aware of it.

It may just need a new line card installed in the cabinet. However of the cabinet is totally full, Openreach will (may) need to install a second cabinet which will take invariably longer.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Is there a way to contact to find out a) how long it will be b) what sort of work is needed and c) where I am on the list? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution
No, no and no 🙂
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings