Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: FTTC not available but FTTP is!

@kickmaleerie

sorry so it is

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 12 of 21

Thanks, that is useful and I have sent it off. I will post what comes back - if anything - to this thread

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 13 of 21

No problem, easy to miss. 

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 14 of 21

OK, I have had an acknowledegment of my enquiry and a reference number from a no-reply-to email address. Any idea where I might go to use the reference number in correspondence?? 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

you should get a reply with information but normally auto reply so as GG said just send form again until you get reply from a person

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 21

Just keep resending the forum and you will eventually get a human response instead of the no reply response.

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Thanks to gg and imjolly. Most mysterious. I  guess BT Openreach must be where some of the missing dark matter in the Universe resides 😉 I will keep resubmititng the form until a humanoid responds.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

The problem is you are not an openreach customer so only way for you to get information about fibre connection is by submitting the form and continuing until a person responds. 

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Hello Kickmaleerie

You may have been following my recent (and ongoing) thread with regard to FTTPoD. I wish you well, even if you get a human response - my experience, so far, is that BT appear determined to do as little as possible for this (favouring G Fast, instead).

The one thing which may be in your favour is that the DSL Checker suggests that you can get generic (Openreach's terminology...) FTTPoD, as opposed to 'total' FTTPoD. 'Generic' FTTPoD generally refers to the 'pass-by' scenario - Openreach will have laid a main cable which passes close to your property, so you might only have to pay for the final infrastructure costs of getting a connection into your property.My own case is a total FTTPoD - I would have to meet all of the infrastructure costs of getting the cable from the nearest aggregation node; much more expensive.

Don't be put off by the silly price BT shall first claim (if they bother giving you any figure at all, that is....).Openreach themselves claim that 96% of premises should face an installation cost no greater than £2,500.

You should bear in mind that as an on-demand installation you may have to pay the higher monthly costs associated with said approach - getting FTTP for standard Infinity rates generally only applies where Openreach regard the installation as generic FTTP, not FTTPoD (or now FoD - Fibre On Demand).The whole issue of service pricing is currently in a state of flux - you may have seen that the 1 Gigabit FTTP service trial (Bradford) is offering the service at a far more competititve rate than was expected (for now, at any rate).

See if you can at least find out where your nearest fibre aggregation node is located - that will give you a starting point for potential costs.As a rough rule-of-thumb a multi DSLAM location (more than one street cabinet in relatively close proximity to each other) is more likely to have an adjacent node (serving the multiple cabinets) than a single cabinet location; in that scenario, the node may be as far away as the exchange - the farther the distance, the greater the cable run and potential for other infrastructure issues.

Keep at it - you will need to be tenacious!....

0 Ratings
kickmaleerie
Contributor
Message 20 of 21

Thanks to DSLAMdunkin. I think trying to get FTTPoD would be an excercise in futility that I do not need when moving home. 

Since I pay my line rental on a yearly basis I am going to move my existing BT Products using the Home Moving service - call 0800 100 400 to get to them direct: the person I spoke to seemed sensible enough.

They will "park" your services from the date you activate the move out request  for up to 3 months. I then arrange a refit date once I have an entry date for the new build: sounds OK.

I won't be able to get BT Infinity so will just get the cheapest unlimited standard ADSL+ package for £16 pcm - looks like I will get about 5 Mbps download all being well. 

I can always take out an EE 4G Home Broadband plan with 50Gb monthly allowance and bundled Huawei modem for £44 pcm which will give me near FTTC speeds at some periods in the day. 

I will then spend time and energy lobbying my Councillor, MSP and MP and Ofcom to get the planning laws changed so that planning applications are not granted unless FTTP/FTTH is provided as part of the build.

I know that BT Openreach will already work with developers to provide FTTP infrastructure for free in developments of 250+ households, but since 90% of new build developments are smaller than this they won't be overwhelmed with requests and builders are by and large lazy greedy so and so's who given the housing shortage can sell anything they build at a 30% profit margin and can't be bothered with things they don't and do not want to understand. End of. 

0 Ratings