cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

FTTH - Fibre To The Home - Setup help

Hi there ,

So I'm a new customer and am due an installation tomorrow however for my own knowledge I'd like to get a few things cleared up.

So my first question relates to the GPON terminal itself and what should be connected to the terminal and if anything else is needed.

1. Heres my current situation. So I got my router today which by reference to the sticker is the BT Smart Hub - Type A. It has the grey broadband port.  1-4 Gig Ethernet , 1 USB 2.0 and a DC power port. And I have the openreach modem with only 1 ethernet port,  not the model with 4 ports. I am looking to connect everything up as I'm a computer technician and with the covid19 outbreak would like to atleast setup everything on the inside. 

My GPON terminal is installed on the wall with the optical cable plugged in , and the cable goes to the outside of my property. So the rest lies outside the property and getting the optical fibre cable to the actual property.

So first of all do I have the correct router to support the GPON? as I've heard there are some routers with red WAN ports. However my model doesnt. As far as I'm aware this means I will just need to run am ethernet cable (rj45) from the terminal on the wall , to my smart hub and just plug the ethernet into one of the 'Gig Ethernet' ports. 

2. The second main question I would like some more understanding on is the landline. I received a micro filter in the box with my hub, with me having  a GPON terminal , do I just plug the phone cable from the phone straight into the GPON terminal? Or do I plug the micro filter into the terminal and then connect the ADSL and phone line to the filter?

3. I dont have a home phone to use as my landline. Do BT provide one on activation? Do I need the home phone just to primarily set up the wifi/fibre? 

Something tells me I might not be needing my micro filter but hopefully someone can enlighten me.

Also can someone please let me know if I will still be alright using my model of router with fibre to the home? Or will I need the router with red ports and cable?

Thankyou greatly in advance.

Regards 

FrismX

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTH - Fibre To The Home - Setup help

You have the wrong router, you need one with a red Wan port. You don't need a phone unless you want one, you won't be supplied with one.

Message 3 of 11

Have you moved into a New Build or a house that already has FTTP because the Engineer normally brings the ONT on the Installation day.

Message 4 of 11

Should I contact them to replace it? Will it still work with installation tomorrow or should I get on the phone when available?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Yes have just moved in and the ONT has already been installed. 

Regards

FrismX

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

@FrismX wrote:

Should I contact them to replace it? Will it still work with installation tomorrow or should I get on the phone when available?

There will be no installations until June, so nobody will be coming tomorrow, despite what you may have been told.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@FrismX wrote:

Yes have just moved in and the ONT has already been installed. 

Regards

FrismX

Yes, but are you the first resident or was there a previous owner.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Is the PON Light Lit and Solid Green or is it flashing?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Here is a general response to my original post after contacting BT

They are happy to help as the only part they need to do is external. They said happily they will send an engineer because the inside is virtually set up and that I'd only need to plug my ethernet into the router and dont necessarily need to have anything plugged in to my ONT in regards to landline unless i want to plug one on, they also stated they dont provide a home phone. They are now sending me the right router too as I got through to the ftth team. An have sent a request put to openreach to inspect what is left to do on the line. Which as far as I can see is the cable off the front of my house  is linked to my gpon terminal internally. The rope is in the ground ready to pull the cable through so that's the last step. I'm all up to date with them now and they've sorted everything on my list , or advised me.

Noted aswell because my line isnt connected externally they couldn't see that I could get full fibre to the home. But 5he moment those cables are installed my line will them show a full fibre capability. So as I say openreach have now got some correspondence to get this last bit complete and they are aware that all work is external. Because it didn't show full fibre the order was also wrong and for the fibre to the cabinet. So they cancelled it and are now waiting to see the line is ready and then I can place an order and off I go. They also are going to send me the router out now, the correct one, so that I can just plug and go when the line is complete and activated.

They know I'm clued up with setting something like the router up and it's a matter of plugging cables in on my end. Something I do for a living with pcs. 

Will hope to keep the topic open and post an update as and when I get information/update or even when I receive service and what took place.

FrismX

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

0 Ratings