cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

FTTP DigitalVoice- How Many Phones Can I Connect?

I have a date for installation of full fibre FTTP with digital voice and am prepping everything in anticipation.

I'm assuming that I can just use the Tel port on the ONT to connect my existing home phone wiring.  Is this so?

A "legacy" copper system, with a master socket and satellites is allowed a REN of 4, so typically four hard wired handsets maximum.   If my home phone system is wired in the usual star/daisy-chained fashion, can I still have four or even more phones when it's plugged into the ONT?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP DigitalVoice- How Many Phones Can I Connect?

The Tel port on the ONT is not used for Digital Voice. The super Hub is a DECT phone base unit.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

The TEL port on the ONT is/was for FVA (fibre voice access) which Openreach have now stopped selling. It's been replaced by Digital Voice which connects to the Smarthub 2

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon 

There is also a phone socket on the Smart Hub 2, but I would not expect it to cope with more than one phone, or a phone base station.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

FTTP DigitalVoice- How Many Phones Can I Connect?

OK, so if I have to plug into the SmartHub2 to get voice, how many phones can I officially connect?

With respect, I'm not interested in how many someone thinks it is or may be, just gimme' accurate info please.

By the way, being forced to use the SmartHub to get voice is a bit of a bummer - I was planning to replace it so that I can get Guest WiFi and dynamic DNS because BT charge for a fixed IP.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@ChunkyTheCurmudgeon 

Its unlikely that you will get an official reply here regarding the REN number, as this is just a user forum.

Bear in mind that the ringing voltage and current, has to come from within the Smart Hub 2, so that is going to limit what you can connect to it, as its only a low voltage feed into the hub, and the ringing convertor circuitry is no going to be very powerful, and nowhere near that which is output from the PSTN equipment in the exchange.

Not many people connect multiple phones across the same line, as they tend to use a DECT base unit, and multiple handsets, as its far more convenient.

As for the guest network, that could be implemented on a separate wireless access point, or a wireless mesh system, operating in bridge mode. Many mesh systems already have this feature.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Thanks for that.  Not looking for an official reply, just an accurate one from someone who has already found out the correct number.  

DECT base stations and 12V powered desk phones don't need to take power for ringer, so I think the concern about voltage and current is a red herring.  I don't even have the ringer core connected around the property, just the usual blue and blue/white cores.

A single (or even two) DECT base stations is no good for me, the house is too big and/or DECT signal is prejudiced by some of the construction of the property.  I have my hard wired home wiring for a reason and want to retain it.

As for guest netork, I considered this but my understanding is that even in bridge mode it doesn't just give the guest access to an internet connection but also provides a back door for access to my network and servers.  I'm not having that, no Siree.

I don't beleive it addresses my need for DDNS access either, but my network skills aren't up to that level so I'm more than happy to be told the solution if I'm wrong.

0 Ratings