cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryant704
Guru
Message 1 of 23

FTTP Discussion - Who's upgrading?

So, some pricing information from Openreach was made public though seems a tad expensive for me especially when I'm planning to move some time next year.

I for one will not be upgrading I move into my new home at the very earliest may wait to see if the prcies come down or see if I can get any subsidey as I live in Norfolk but I very much doubt it.

Source: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5614-first-official-indications-of-fibre-on-demand-pricing-from-o...

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
22 REPLIES 22
AndyCoffin
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 23

Re: FTTP Discussion - Who's upgrading?

Hate to say this but i dont see a need for full fibre yet, im on 76 down and 17 up and that is plenty fast enough, hell ive yet to find anything other then big file downloading (think steam/origen) that pushes it. hell reinstalled wow last night and the install took longer then the download, and it aint a small download either!!

by the time there is a need it will be cheap as chips, blu-ray players where something like £400-£600 when they came out, i got one from sainsburys for £50 last month and its awsome!

only people to benifet from full fibre at the momment is bisnesses and from what ive seen openreach have gone out of there way to make sure the main bisness parks havnt been done

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 3 of 23

I'm assuming you mean 'On Demand' FTTP?

Personally, I have had FTTP for a couple of years or so now...and would not turn back - reasonable throughput on BB and crystal clear phoneline. Yes it's not the cheapest but then you wouldn't go to Infinity if you want cheap broadband.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 23

Just upgraded to 160Mb FTTP- No extra cost, just needed to start a new contract. All in all well worth it IMHO

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Aarong
Guru
Message 5 of 23

Looks a tad on the expensive side, would up but considering I may not be residing on this house for too much longer I wouldn't see any real benefits from it.

Other than that, London and many other major cities have already been announced as been upgraded to FTTP over the next few years, I can wait until then.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 23

As ryant704's link says, it would cost c. £1000 for a 500m run to the cabinet (i.e. about £2 per metre) plus a further £500 fixed fee to cover the work at your house, then the increase in quarterly rental, which has not been announced yet by BT Retail.

The FTTP 160meg service was a trial (and done very cheaply to get people to sign up) so they could test it out.

I feel this means the rest of us will have to pay a commercial price, unfortunately!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 7 of 23

You also need to remember that it won't be coming from the cab but a NGA Aggregation Node but the locations of these are unknown to the public at the minute. Apparently they're around the FTTC cabinet though, but hopefully on the closer side to home premises rather than further.

RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

@ryant704

Do you know when the location of these NGA Aggregation Nodes is likely to be known?

In our case, it could well be futher away with my luck lol!

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
ryant704
Guru
Message 9 of 23

@RichRolls wrote:

@ryant704

Do you know when the location of these NGA Aggregation Nodes is likely to be known?

In our case, it could well be futher away with my luck lol!

No, I know think are trying to get them to release them to the public.

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 23

I havent posted for a while, but as far as I can recall the NGA nodes have been known for some time- of course any new ones would be unknown (if there are any, although I cant imagine any drastic changes in the possitioning, as it would indicate some seriously iffy planning). Let me do some digging I have some 21CN documents that outline this information.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’