cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Truffle1234
Beginner
Message 1 of 26

FTTP - How do you order it ?

Is it possible to get Fibre to the Premises as a private customer ? How do you do this (I appreciate it would be expensive). The Cabinet seems to say it is available. Many thanks Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: FTTP - How do you order it ?

No.

That's fibre to the prem on demand. It's not currently sold by any ISP as far as I know.

If and when it does become available, it'll cost maby thousands to install, many hundreds per month and will likely have a 3 year minimum term.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 26

FTTPoD was open to all CP's but the only two that I know ever sold it was BT Business and Zen.

Openreach did suspend taking any more orders for it a while back because of the lengthy process it takes to install it.

Also the fibre cable doesn't come from the DSLAM, it comes from the nearest Aggregation Node, which could be 500m further up the road.

Let's for arguements sake say it's next to the DSLAM though. Given your estimated VDSL speeds are between 14 and 35 I'd guess you're 1600 to 2000m from the DSLAM.

This would put you in Band G which the cost of getting the fibre cable to your house would be at least £3500. Could potentially be a lot more though if they have to build more Network Capacity, eg ducting, joint boxes, etc.

That's just to get the cable there though. The Installation Cost on top of that is £750...

You've then got the Yearly Rental Openreach charge your CP, which is £1188... That's just what they charge your provider though, they'll want to add their bit on top of that...

So basically you'll end up paying a few hundred for the Survey. Then at least £4250 to get it installed, that process can take a few months sometimes. You've then got to pay at least £100+ a month rental and the minimum term is usually 3-5 years...

So unless that kind of monies not a problem you need to ask yourself, is having speeds of 330/30 really that important?
0 Ratings
Truffle1234
Beginner
Message 4 of 26

I see ! At the moment I only have 14, so am trying to find some way of increasing it 😀
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 26

You should be getting closer to 27.

Have you tested into the test socket?

If so and the speed is still low, you need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 26

An Engineer visit for what, the 'Estimate' is between 14 and 35.

Openreach don't even guarantee the Estimate. They will provide the best possible stable speed the line can support.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

It's not. When signing up, BT give the lower of the clean A range, not the impacted range B

If the speed is below 27meg an engineer visit is required. If the speeds can't be improved the OP will be able to cancel their contract without penalty should they wish.
Truffle1234
Beginner
Message 8 of 26

Thanks a lot Webby I will arrange an engineer visit and see what they say.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your conenction before getting engineer visit as it might save you the call out charge of £129.99

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Indeed, I think you were asked on the othe thread too but no answer was given.
0 Ratings