cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John25Roberts
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 26

Re: FTTP - How do you order it ?

If the speed is at or above the Mimimum speed, that being 14mbps Openreach won't deal with it as a Fault.

BT will either have to raise a Superfast Visit Assurance or a Broadband Boost.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 26

I'm well aware of that.

BT retail will send out an engineer if the line is connecting below the lower estimate of range Az

We still need to know if the OP has tried the test socket.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

@John25Roberts wrote:
If the speed is at or above the Mimimum speed, that being 14mbps Openreach won't deal with it as a Fault.

BT will either have to raise a Superfast Visit Assurance or a Broadband Boost.

When customers order BT broadband the quote that they will receive will always be based on Wholesale's 'Range A' speed estimate.  Range B is for what Openreach call “impacted lines”, i.e. lines with something wrong with them.  

The problem is BT don't know that the line may be faulty until it is connected up so range B speed estimates don't help.

If the line is faulty as per the B range, BT can raise a fault and get the line fixed, putting it back into range A.  That is why BT only quote range A speeds for new customers.

jedpause
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 26

I was probably lucky, I ordered Infinity 3 online via BT's product page (I see you can still do it, up to Infinity 4)

It didn't take too long; My exchange was one of the very first to get it (Ashford, Surrey). Probably 4-5 weeks after order and they had to run Fibre up from a ground node about 250m away, compressed air pushed fibre up a pole over a new cable to my house... zero cost. (Yes FTTP) And I pay £48 for 200/20, and get 210/22 consistently.. If you can see my profile/posts you will see the installation pics and story

I heard they had stopped it.... but I can upgrade if I want to 300/20 (I even spoke to them 2-3 weeks ago and they said OK to upgrade..) I think new fibre installation is a high cost so maybe they are not doing many brand new installs... possibly because G-Fast is on the near horizon... but to be honest I have not been following the details... the experts on this forum will know better

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else
0 Ratings
James-C
BT Expert
Message 15 of 26

Hi @jedpause

You have native FTTP which is still being deployed in various locations around the UK.

The OP was enquiring about another product called FTTPoD (Fibre to the premises on Demand) which is available in some FTTC locations where a customer who is connected to a FTTC enabled cabinet can pay to have fibre to the premises.

The FTTPoD is still available from Openreach however it's up to the ISP or Wholesaler if they offer it as a product to their customer.

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 26

@Webby wrote:
I'm well aware of that.

BT retail will send out an engineer if the line is connecting below the lower estimate of range Az

We still need to know if the OP has tried the test socket.

However I have just started a new contract and it says.

How fast will it be?

We estimate your download speed will be between 55Mb and 72Mb, and your upload speed will be between 16Mb and 20Mb.

The minimum guaranteed speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 46Mb.

So it looks as though they are now guaranteeing minimum speeds

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

@Bob1001

Been like that for a while but the guarantee has certain assumption so not as straight forward as you think

the speeds are connection speed not download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 26

@imjolly wrote:

@Bob1001

Been like that for a while but the guarantee has certain assumption so not as straight forward as you think

the speeds are connection speed not download speed

You are probably right but if so they need to state their get outs otherwise it means what it says.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 26

0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

Perhaps they should brush up on their legislation if these are the T&Cs they MUST be supplied prior to ordering.

They cannot be hidden on a web site where you have to search for them.

I would think speed would be a main characteristic.

From the:-

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013

(a)the main characteristics of the goods or services, to the extent appropriate to the medium of communication and to the goods or services;

0 Ratings