cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

FTTP - How to connect phone line points in living room and bedroom ?

I now have a working FTTP (fibre to the premises) broadband connection.  The phone line is 'fibre voice' but this will not become active until 4th January.

The thing is, I am confused how it is suppose to be connected to all the phone line points in the house (which is a new build).

I have taken some pictures and added comments - see link below...

The BT OpenReach modem has a phone line cable which would usually be connected to the phone.  I had the same setup in the previous property I used to rent.

But I don't understand how all the phone line points in the house (2 in the living room and 1 in the master bedroom) are suppose to be connected to this phone line cable from the Open Reach modem ?

As it stands, the phone will have to be connected to the modem and left in the under stairs cupboard !  I cant see how the phone line points in all the other rooms can be connected ?

When I search for help online, there doesnt seem to be any information about FTTP phone line connections.  They tend to be for ADSL where you have a master BT socket and filters etc.

From my understanding, with FTTP there is just one fibre optic cable into the premises which goes to the Open Reach modem. The ethernet and phone line connection then plugs into the Open Reach modem.  There isnt a seperate line for the phone so there doesnt seem to be a master BT socket.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP - How to connect phone line points in living room and bedroom ?

@john46 may be able to describe the setup, as he has FTTP.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

You need to find out where the other end of one of the cables in the bedroom terminates. I suspect the wiring goes from an unknown point to the bedroom  where it is teed to the cable going to the living room corner  which is in turn teed to the cable going to the living room multimedia panel.

unknown _______bedroom__________corner__________Multimedia

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 4 of 11

There should be a switch on top of the wall socket which can be used. However I suspect new builds didn't have these fitted, therefore you would need to connect Line 1 to your current wiring.

I circumvented this by simply using cordless handsets with the base directly plugged into TEL1. The light on this will either be off or flashing very slowly at the moment, possibly with a voice message if you lift the handset.
0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 5 of 11

Forgot to add - unfortunately some builders / electricians have no idea that either the property will be an FTTP one or how to then handle the handoff from the modem to the copper wiring.

I had a similar issue with internal wiring but in the end butchered it for data sockets - my builders used Cat5 cable. 😎
0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I have updated the file with the link...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/38813887/PhoneNetwork.pdf

The last two pages show how I can only assume the phone sockets might be wired.

There are 2 green cables in parallel for:

• Living room (corner)
  • Master bedroom

There is only a single green cable for:

• Living room (multimedia panel)

I have know idea where one of the other green cables will go (labeled '???').  It must either go from:

• Living room (corner)
  • Master bedroom

There is another socket in the cupboard under the stairs, but I believe this is for an alarm installation.  See last page of updated document (via the dropbox link).

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Yep, as I described in message 3. You need to discover where the other end of the ??? cable is. Hopefully its somewhere in the under stairs cupboard.

0 Ratings
freeflyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

That's a problem then, as there isn't anywhere else in the under stairs cupboard!?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Its not coiled up lurking behind any of the Openreach boxes is it?

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 11

I think you may need to speak to the developer, one of your diagrams, on page 9 or 10 will be correct , but which one ?
The developer or whoever he employed to install this wiring should be able to locate the end of that  mystery cable and it would then need to be terminated on a line jack socket , then the FVA (fibre voice access) cable (with the regular phone plug) would be inserted into the (new) line jack , and that should bring the three existing sockets into service...it looks like the developer has messed up and not provided all the sockets required...I doubt OR would get involved in this
You could buy an extension kit, but that would be a shame to have surface wiring when everthing else is hidden, or you could buy a double line jack unit , plug the FVA lead into one side, buy a set of DECT phones, leave the base unit under the stairs with the rest of the kit, plugged into the other side of the double socket , and position the handsets where you want them and abandon the pre fitted phone sockets, you may need another mains outlet if you go down this route 

0 Ratings