cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagicWok
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

FTTP Infinity 4 - 10mbit at best. 4.36mbit now :(

I'm getting quite tired of this, and need a bit of space to vent out and log how I get on with this.

I've already called the FTTP BT dept and they're sending an engineer because there "might be a problem". I think there's an almighty problem alright Smiley Frustrated

I've had Infinity 4 installed since the beginning of the year. I got 300mbit, strangely not 330mbit, but I hit my estimated speed nigh on all the time. Past 3 or 4 weeks or so this keeps happening:

Screen Shot 2016-09-04 at 21.06.21.png

Even the sites I imagine get some kind of priority of traffic, like iPlayer and Netflix fall down. During the day I get about 100-150mbit on a good sprint, otherwise it falls back down to similar levels above.

Will let you know how I get on. Hopefully some technical insight if I gather them, that I'm sure will interest some and may even help others in the future.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP Infinity 4 - 10mbit at best. 4.36mbit now :(

I assume you're testing wired and not wirelessly?

Have you reset the router?

Does it happen around the same time each day? Or is it random?

It could be an issue with the ONT but unlikely if it's time specific.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
MagicWok
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Tested all - wired, wireless AC, all times of the day, reboot after reboot... (from above for reference: "During the day I get about 100-150mbit on a good sprint, otherwise it falls back down to similar levels.")

Bit stumped as to why this is happening, hopefully the engineer visit will clear it up.

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

Where in the UK are you MagicWok?

I have Infinity 4 too and tonight around 5pm I started having similar problems to yours - speed down to less than 10Mbps, but ping and upload are find (less than 5ms ping and 30+ up).

This is the first time I've had a problem for about 18 months (I think). I'm in Walnut Tree, Milton Keynes.

0 Ratings
Techguy
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

If you are not in contract , better to find some other supplier, Im with BT and this is every day issue for me , if you are in contract then this is what u have to live with for year or so.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Incorrect, @Techguy
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Hello Magic Wok

Although there might be a network fault, the fact that your speed fluctuates (up to 150 Mb) and that your best speed is at a 'quieter' time suggests that (unfortunately) your issue is that of good ol' network congestion - even having FTTP doesn't protect you from that.

Hope I'm wrong!!!

0 Ratings
MagicWok
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

@DSLAMdunkin I hope it isn't. I understand network congestion, not new to the game, the BT agent on the phone seemed to pick up on a specific issue as I mentioned in the original post but couldn't elaborate further. The fact that my speeds fluctuate at all times, and not just 'peak' hours, says to me that it's not just network congestion (fingers crossed).

@JTG6 I'm based a little ways down the road in Hampshire 😄

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Unlikely that your issue is related to mine then. Although when I was on copper wire ADSL, I was convinced my line passed through somewhere like Hampshire on its was from my exchange to my house... 1.7Mb was all I could get.

My issues seem to have resolved themselves - I'm back up to near 300Mbps again 🙂

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Hello MW

Apologies - didn't mean to suggest you are a 'newbie'. I note, however,  that your rep said that there might be a problem, not that there is...

I've had a look around the 'troubleshooting' pages of other service providers (both UK and abroad). Unfortunately, they all appear to say 'network congestion' for issues of your type. If it is, I would have thought you would have legitinate grounds to challenge your contract - you're paying for a service which BT are unable to provide.

The only way to mitigate congestion is to have very deep pockets, and have EFM or GEA.

0 Ratings