cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DickDastardly
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

FTTP Infinity 4 (330mbps) - new (non-Smart Hub) router set-up.

Go to solution

Hi, any help/input would be appreciated. 

I am having my Infinity 4 switched-on tomorrow (FTTP).  The download speed is estimated to 330mbps. I have been given a Smart Hub and I want to change this for the Asus RT-AC5300. The main is reasons for this, is because I have 3 sons who all are gamers in the house and not to mention 5 ipads, 5 iphones and numerous MacBooks.  It's supper busy at the best of times. 

I have read the connection is PPPoE and  I have the Username and Password (bthomehub@btbroadband.com / bt or password or anything else). 

OpenReach installed the modem and battery back-up (battery back-up for the phone) yesterday. 

I have read that it's advisable to clone the MAC address when setting up the new router and was wondering if this is correct.  

I would also like to know if there is anything else I should change on the Asus to ensure I get it working and hopefully achieve optimal performance? 

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
kinthos
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTP Infinity 4 (330mbps) - new (non-Smart Hub) router set-up.

Go to solution

I'm assuming you are referring to Wireless performance - in honesty this is a very high end issue as most people can't get FTTP.  Yes that tiddly 330mb pipe will be your bottleneck I'd say.

I can't help with the replacing the router with the AC5300 - very nice piece of kit though.  I assume you have decent adapters in your sons laptops/other devices to make good use of this.  In the very least, invest in some good new AC Wireless adapters.

Otherwise are you talking about wireless coverage and if thats the case, the Smart Hub is probably sufficient.  It has 6 antennas and good bandwidth - more than sufficient unless you are in a massive house.

The easiest solution and similar to what I have done (despite my lack of decent fibre connection)...

1. Just have the AC5300 sit in line to the smart hub.  So Modem>Smart Hub>AC5300.

2. Set the AC5300 IP in the same subnet as the smart hub and decide which router you want to dish out DHCP (I'd say leave that to the Smart Hub - as this should be default gateway+DNS anyway).

3.a. Optionally disable the Smart Hub Wireless function

3.b OR I'd advise switching the default wireless channels of both devices so to avoid conflict/noise.

4. Optionally - If you want to really go for it, you can get some really high end repeaters now that give very decent speed.

--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
0 Ratings
DickDastardly
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the great reply.

Our MacBooks are AC so we are good for that. 

I want to replace the homehub, as I believe you get what you pay for and the AC5300 has a better internal processor and ram. 

I will use the AC5300 and connect it directly to the OpenReach fibre modem.  I would appreciate any feedback regarding the optimal and efficient setting-up of the router. 

Thanks

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution
To be honest I doubt anyone on here has that router on a 330meg FTTP connection. So it may be a case of trial and error on your part.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
kinthos
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I'd agree with Webby.  You are in fairly uncharted waters.

If you really want to replace the smart hub this is what I'd do:

1. First, confirm all works fine with the smart hub in place.  Important to ensure no issues with the install.  I cannot stress this enough!  BT won't help you with the Asus in place.  I'd also advise keeping this in place for a few days to watch for drop outs and let the speed settle a bit.

2. Once happy the pipe is sound you try to pop the Asus in place of the SmartHub.  This is where you will be more on your own.

I'd strongly advise against fiddling with the MAC address on your Asus router though.  Change it to PPPOE and set the username/pw as you mentioned and see what happens.

--
If I've been helpful (or amused you) - Click the Star under my name. I'm Just another satisfied BT Customer. 😉
neiltwist
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

This thread interests me as I have a very similar setup already.

I would agree with the previous poster, that testing the connection with the HH before doing anything else is worth it, I'd give it 24 hours as it's not the actual modem and it should be very quick to stabalise on a fibre line.

As for the Asus, I'm running the 'Dark Knight' RT-N66U and am looking to upgrade, so I'd appreciate any feedback when you're setup!

My setup is pretty much the default, but I didn't clone my mac and the username and password are just what you mentioned originally. I also disabled Internet Detection to ensure no slowdowns, though it may make no difference.

MTU & MRU are 1492.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

DickDastardly
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for all the advice. 

I set the Asus up on Saturday after giving the Fibre 24 hours to settle. First difference has been a constant 5mbps increase in download speed from 303mbps to 308mbps. Doesn't sound much but every bit helps. The Asus router is handling 26 devices on wifi in total with absolutely no problem and the range is amazing. I'd say around 30% better than the SmartHub. 

I didn't clone the MAC address and did see the MTU and MRU were set to 1492. 

Very happy. 

0 Ratings
kinthos
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Good to hear and I'm not even slightly jealous.  No no, not me! ;D

--
0 Ratings
sepcl76
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

i'm going to have the same set up on Tuesday (newbuild FTTP).

Can you post settings that made this work? Please.

0 Ratings