Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

FTTP Information

Go to solution

Hi

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of how to obtain information as to when/if my local exchange/cabinet will be FTTP enabled. Its FTTC enabled as everyone in my area can get Fibre but the FTTP, as I understand, is whats next in the fibre world.

Is there a website or websites that know whats happening or is it all still underwraps and and not for public knowledge yet, lol.

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP Information

Go to solution

If you are in a area that can get a FTTC connection then don't expect to see native Openreach FTTP anytime soon.

There are still areas that don't have a fibre based service yet (be that FTTC, FTTP, FTTRN or any other Superfast or ultrafast branded fibre based service).

Openreach is deploying native FTTP to areas not yet receiving any type of Openreach fibre based service where that area is more appropriate to deploy FTTP compared to FTTC or another type of service. I.e the costs to deploy that technology in that specific area is more feasible compared to the other.

You may however be on a FTTC enable cabinet that has FTTPoD (fibre to the premises on demand) product available for individuals to potentially order. However this comes with a expensive installation fee, high monthly service fees and currently only a few ISPs offer it. (Mainly aimed a business)

There is also a new technology that is being trialed, called g.Fast, in some FTTC enable areas that can potentially offer a ultrafast service however this is still being trialed.

For all available Openreach fibre info then the Openreach Map has been updated to show what is available and planned in different areas (also including g.fast)- https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

0 Ratings
TelephoneBob
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
'If you are in a area that can get a FTTC connection then don't expect to see native Openreach FTTP anytime soon.

There are still areas that don't have a fibre based service yet (be that FTTC, FTTP, FTTRN or any other Superfast or ultrafast branded fibre based service).

Openreach is deploying native FTTP to areas not yet receiving any type of Openreach fibre based service where that area is more appropriate to deploy FTTP compared to FTTC or another type of service. I.e the costs to deploy that technology in that specific area is more feasible compared to the other.'

Would have to completely disagree with all of that. I know of plenty of areas that are covered by FTTC and can still get FTTP.

Infact I saw one only last week where the customer had a 55/10 package on FTTC (DSLAM was 450m away) yet he upgraded to FTTP and still only took out the 55/10 package.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Nationally, it's quite rare.

Given the opporunity, I too would swap to FTTP even if I took the same speed. Latency and reliability on pure fibre is key.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
RCarter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for the replies

I would love FFTP, on FTTC and only can max out at 40mb/s and yes I know thats fast enough but really want the hyperspeed connection for uploading too.

I did ring BB support on a unrelated matter and the guy said the FTTP is been rolled out and they are hoping to have all FTTC excahnges uprated to offer FTTP within the next 18 months, true or not I can still cross my finger, lol

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Biggest lie I've heard in a long time.

It would take at least a decade and around £25bn to roll out FTTP nationwide.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’