cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

FTTP Install Options

Hi - Looking for some help and advice on how Openreach handle a FTTP install.  I'm eligible for FTTP, and have placed an order for infinity 2, from what I've seen online my install will compromise of a few stages, connecting the fibre line to the house (mine's routed underground), then connecting the ONT unit etc and setting up the router etc.

My concern is that my fibre line will come up to the front of the house (on the right handside of our house/front porch) as thats where the existing BT external connection is, however I ideally would like the ONT unit in my living room behind our media unit which is located rear/left based on the house layout, so my question is if thats possible?

From what I've seen based on the houses that live close by me the CSP is located very close to the existing BT external connections at the front of the house, if that has to be the case and it can only be routed directly from that point that would mean by ONT unit would be by our front door in the hallway, which by the way has no available power sockets nearby, so that really wouldn'y work for us.

I'm sure there is a way around this and I'm not the first customer to have this issue, but can't find anything on-line that talks about varying install methods and options, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Pete

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP Install Options

Ask them to place a request that openreach contact you to confirm external appoinment as you wish to be present for phase 1 work. You can then speak to the engineer and ask him what your external options are. I did this, and now have a hybrid fiber/copper cable routed through my loft rather than down the side of my house.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Great, thanks for the reply, so sounds like I have options to manage the set up I want.  Will ensure I'm about for the first install then.  

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

If your house if fed by a UG Feed then the CSP has to go where then connecter bend is. That's the grey plastic cover where the phone line currently comes comes up from underground.

The Step 2 Installer has EZ Bend Cable that he can run from the CSP. They come in 5, 20 and 30 metre lengths. As long as where you want the ONT is within 3.5, 18.5 or 28.5m then you should be OK. I say 3.5, 18.5 and 28.5m because they need about 1/2 slack at the ONT end for it to go through the wall and 1m at the CSP end for splicing.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, that's very useful info!

Presume this cable can be run both inside and outside depending on customer requirements?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

The EZ Bend Cable the Step 2 Engineer uses comes in either White or Black. Both can be used both Internally and Externally.

Although he might be limited to what he has as there's been some problems getting hold of EZ Bend Cable as late!
0 Ratings