cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

FTTP Installation Process

Firstly, not very knowledgeable on this so please excuse any inaccuracies. We moved into a new build during Xmas and i'd contacted BT to move our broadband service to the new property thinking it would be fairly straight forward apart from getting a telephone line installed.

It transpires that my order has been cancelled however i'm awaiting a callback from a manager to explain things further.

From what i understand speaking to someone in BT customer care i should have an ONT modem installed however all i can see is a blanking plate in the front room. Directly outside is what i assume is a fibre cable from the blanking plate. There is a small grey pipe coming from the ground however i cannot see any cable.

My question is who is responsible to setting all of this up or what is the process? I'm guessing that the builder should request the cable be installed from the exchange to the house (via Openreach?) and that the builder is then responsible for installing the ONT modem?

Is that correct?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: FTTP Installation Process

@Baxendengreen 

You would have to ask the developer what arrangements they made with Openreach regarding the infrastructure.

Although many new build are fibre only, it may not be in your case, you may just have an ordinary copper cable underground.

You could always ask a neighbour to see if anything has been installed in their property.

Message 3 of 16

Hi @Baxendengreen 

Yes for FTTP services you require an ONT. These are usually installed in a new build.

Please can you go to this website: https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results, you may have to click Address Checker at the bottom. This shows what is available.

Openreach is responsible for installing everything and BT provides the router. 

Have you spoken to the dedicated FTTP team? 0800 587 4787

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
Message 4 of 16

Thanks Keith i was planning on asking a few neighbours this weekend what they had as some of the houses have been occupied for at least a few months so they must have something installed.

I just assumed it was going to be Fibre given that fibre is coming from the blanking plate.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

I've tried the checker based on the post code and I get this:

Sorry this postcode has not been recognised by this checker, this could be because this is a new address with a new postcode that has not yet included in our database or the postcode does not align to an exchange area. Therefore, can you please try again using your telephone number or address.

I'm awaiting a call from someone at BT tonight so will see what they say but if i don't get anywhere i'll certainly try the FTTP team.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 16

@Baxendengreen 

OK; thanks for the information. The PostCode checker only has information for old copper lines and even then not with much accuracy. Are you able to use the Address Checker.

Please do post back how you get on.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

I tried the address checker and I get:

Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.

Will keep you posted!
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

As @Keith_Beddoe has stated your best option is to contact the developer and find out what arrangements (if any) they have made with Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

Can you take a picture of this cable, preferably the end of it and we’ll be able to confirm if it’s a Fibre or Copper Cable.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

01E6C52D-DB09-4D3C-92CB-77A19CEEFE41.jpeg

seems to have a protective cover over the end