cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CallumLeslie
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

FTTP: PON light still flashing, BT sales can't help

We moved into our new build property nearly three weeks ago having been assured the internet would be ready to go. It was not. We only had the hardware and line set up last Wednesday and were told our line would be ready for service by Friday. Even BT Openreach engineers I've collared outside say that they sent off the email to have it activated on Friday and it should have been done.

Our PON light is still flashing. BT sales (the FTTP team, not general sales) say it will be 15 working days before an offline team member can investigate my issue. Openreach engineers can't give me any information on what the problem is or a possible timescale.

I work from home so this is costing me a fortune in mobile broadband. Can someone please help? I just need someone at to find out specifically what the problem is, and when it will be resolved. It's turned our first house purchase into a nightmare and it's costing me work. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP: PON light still flashing, BT sales can't help

Unfortunatley BT retail cannot provide or order a service until the network is fully ready and available for orders.

They will need to chase up with Openreach (which is the 15 days thing) to see what the problem is.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
CallumLeslie
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

But why does it take 15 days? And why didn't the email from the engineer get the service activated? I can't get actual answers from anyone. 

0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hello CL

Openreach are the network provider for the majority of ISP's in the UK, not just BT.You can, therefore, imagine the number of enquiries they have to deal with - hence the 15 day 'window'.I appreciate how frustrating that can be when it's 'your' issue - but then everyone thinks 'their' issue should be the priority one...

Only Openreach can address your query with regard to the e-mail and activation.

I assume you've checked all of your equipment settings, especially if you're moving from ADSL / FTTC to FTTP, and if you've changed ISP following your house move.

If you are so reliant upon your connection for work purposes, have you spoken to BT Business about alternative options to a contested FTTP connection?

Hope you soon obtain a satisfactory resolution.

0 Ratings
CallumLeslie
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I can absolutely appreciate that. But we were promised it would be ready for service when we moved in, nearly three weeks ago. So it's already delayed. 

Openreach have a monopoly, if they can't handle the demand it should be opened up. If they have a monopoly they have a duty to provide a good service. 

All the equipment is fine, just the PON light is flashing. The engineers only fitted it last week.

I've not spoken to BT about any packages yet, as they refuse to until my line is ready for service!

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

If you were promised then I suggest speaking to the developer. Was it in the contract you signed at the solicitor?

The developer will have an Openreach contact.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
DSLAMdunkin
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Looks like it shall require intervention by Openreach, as the two most common causes of PON indicator issues (a fibre line connection failure / OLT [Optical Line Terminal] Line Card error) can only be resolved by them.

'I've not spoken to BT about any packages yet, as they refuse to until my line is ready for service!' - how familiar that sounds! 🙂 Of course, that will cause further delay whilst your order, once placed, is being fulfilled...It's possible that if you explain your circumstances, and are persistent enough to get to talk to the right people, that you might be able to get an order progressed so that you're ready to go once the line issue is resolved.

Out of interest - do you know if the installation engineer(s) did a line test before they left? (given the likely nature of the cause of your problem).

0 Ratings