cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
georgelnx
Contributor
Message 261 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Latest Plusnet Update which may explain the reconnects on Tuesday morning at 4:40am or may not as they didn't give a date or time for the action.

"Our suppliers high level escalations team came back to us this morning and advised that they reset the GPBD card at the exchange which is the common point for all the fibre infrastructure.

Due to the nature of this issue I'm hesitant to say its 100% resolved so I am putting this on hold for a couple of days to allow you to monitor the line further"

Have to laugh at the 2nd paragraph, as if I'm going to let them close the call on this thin evidence. Will take at least 28 solid days of zero slowdowns before I would concede that the issue is fixed.

And of course, Plusnet last night had a second DNS meltdown in 1 day which doesn't help. I was on-line until 22:30 last night and didn't notice the speed tests decrease as I was trying to work around their DNS problem.

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 262 of 292

@-AndyH- wrote:
I don't think pinging will show anything - that was done earlier in the thread and pings were normal when speeds were non-existent.

Also the two sites/IPs you gave, they block incoming ICMP pings. So it's better to use bbc.co.uk (212.58.244.20).

I'd like to see what's going on 'now', and I'm not particularly bothered if the host is pingable - I just want to see a trace when it's ok and when it's not.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 263 of 292

@het_uk wrote:

I'd like to see what's going on 'now', and I'm not particularly bothered if the host is pingable - I just want to see a trace when it's ok and when it's not.

A traceroute won't show anything of any use because the problem is before the first **external** 'hop'. You will see packet loss/high pings at busy times - but this is purely down to gateway/router traffic policy. 

I am a little surprised BT TSO have not put in an extra fibre connection, for someone affected by the problems, and put some monitoring on that line purely to the exchange (perhaps to the MSE). It should be straightforward to do...

You can see from georgelnx's TBB monitor that he's seeing no packet loss on his connection. His average latency actually fell when the GPBD card was reset, though this will probably be due to a better routing through the 21CN network.

I would be surprised if it's the GPBD card. We've already figured people are on different splitters, so will be on different ports on the card. BTw also said there were 35 circuits they identified affected - well each port on the card will potentially have 32 end users on it. So in theory, if it was the card at fault then it would be a lot more people affected as these cards have 6-8 ports.

0 Ratings
het_uk
Aspiring Expert
Message 264 of 292

I see what you're saying, Andy, but I'm wanting to see a trace whether it shows anything meaningful or not.

I am wondering if anyone has used a GPON tester anywhere yet?  That would be the most obvious thing to do if we're not suspecting the IP network is at fault.

0 Ratings
georgelnx
Contributor
Message 265 of 292

Latest Plusnet Update:

"I appreciate that it is a bit early to tell if the issue is resolved. However, as per the fault team update, further work was done by BT to resolve the issue on the 5th March.

I hope that a permanent fix is in place for you. However, as we cannot be sure, could you please monitor for a few days and let me know if the issues re-occur or persist? This would be appreciated"

So the disconnects on the 4th were not related to the work Openreach did as per my last comment on the 5th.

So it is now wait and see.

0 Ratings
georgelnx
Contributor
Message 266 of 292

Did anyone else notice a slowdown last night? My BTW speed was 56 (out of 80) Mbps with ping time of 36ms.

Speedtest.net and Thinkbroadband were all in the same speed area so not the classic slowdown experience.

Just wondering if this is a new issue (God forbid)

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 267 of 292

I was out last night, but got back around 1am and ran a few tests then and was getting 310Mbps from both the BTW test and Speedtest.net which is the fastest I've ever had.

Tests this morning and this afternoon have been in the 270's.

I'll keep checking, but so far so good.

0 Ratings
georgelnx
Contributor
Message 268 of 292

@JTG6

Thanks for the info, the speed has gone back to the rated speed by Saturday morning so it could have just been congestion on the back hauls on Friday night.

Obviously I get nervous when I see the speed dropping but the drop was consistent against all the speed test sites and their various locations so not the classic speed issue that started this thread.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 269 of 292

How did you guys get on last night? 

I saw a slow down around 19:00 - dropping from 90Mb to 70Mb. But was otherwise fine for me.

0 Ratings
JTG6
Aspiring Expert
Message 270 of 292

I saw a slowdown too, down to 195Mbps from the usual 270-odd. Also, BBC iPlayer was pausing occasionally too, which it never does when the service is normal.
0 Ratings