cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 292

FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Hi all

I'm having some major problems with my Infinity service. I have FTTP and have Infinity 4 (300mb down, 20mb up). Having run the BT Wholesale performance test, I'm getting 0.82Mbps down and 22.96Mbps up with a ping of 28.88ms.

My Openreach modem was turned off yesterday (3pm) following a power failure of no more than 10 minutes, but the speeds above have not changed despite me re-setting both the HH4 and the OR modem. I have not done a factory reset on the HH4 as yet.

I have had 2 recent and similar occasions where my OR modem was switched off - once for a few hours, the next for about 20 minutes. On both times, the same slow speeds (below 1Mbps) happened. My OR modem has been switched off only a few times since I've had it (over 2 years), but usually, the initial speeds are still well above 200Mbps. It's only since December that the initial speeds are below 1Mbps.

In those other 2 cases, speeds returned to normal over night. But on this latest occasion, they haven't. Surely, even after an OR modem reset, the speeds should be significantly higher than 1Mbps?

What is strange is that the upload speed works fine. Even stranger, is that speedtest.net (not the BTW test) is reporting download speeds of 280Mbps and upload of 23Mbps. The HH4 is unlikely to be the problem as I had a spare one and both are producing the same results.

One thing that did annoy me is that despite paying the highest monthly fee, there is no customer service for FTTP customers until 8am Monday morning!

I have an open fault registered, but can anyone suggest anything I can do or any tests I can run other than the BTW speed test?

0 Ratings
291 REPLIES 291
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Just a side note - when I use the Fix your Connection link (on the BT site), it says "it doesn't look like you're using a BT Home Hub" when I definitely am.

If it's of any use, the software on my HH4 is:

BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 | Last updated 21/12/13

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 292

@JTG6 wrote:

Hi all

What is strange is that the upload speed works fine. Even stranger, is that speedtest.net (not the BTW test) is reporting download speeds of 280Mbps and upload of 23Mbps. The HH4 is unlikely to be the problem as I had a spare one and both are producing the same results.

Have you actually noticed if the speed is slow. Can you still stream video such as BBC iPlayer etc. If one speedtester is reporting the speed you would expect and another is reporting lower speeds it could be a faulty speed tester. Have you tried any other speed testers?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 292

I think I'm having a similar problem and got my own thread up about it. I'll let you know if I solve anything. Might be disruption due to development work - anything going on in your local area?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 292

There's no development/construction work in my local area as far as I know.

I tried streaming - YouTube and iPlayer - it plays the first few seconds then stops. I tried other speed testers too and only speedtest.net was reporting high speeds. Speedtest.bbmax.co.uk wouldn't even complete the download phase.

Right now though, the broadband speeds are back up again (as in 200+). Could this problem I had be simply down to the OR modem being switching off? It can't be normal to get less than 1Mbps for up to 36 hours after a reset surely?

I'm not sure if this matters, but the activity light on port 1 on the OR modem (which connects to the HH4) is persistently flashing (2-3 times a second) permanently, even when all devices (wired and wireless) are switched off. I'm sure that before these issues started, it flashed randomly.

I currently have a (still very fast) broadband service, but I'm not confident that the issue has been completely fixed, but I don't want to switch my OR modem off again to find out!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 292

I don't know enough/anything about FTTP to give correct answers  but I would suspect that it would have been as a result of the disconnection and I would be inclined to leave alone if it is now working. Just keep an eye on it and if you have further problems post back and maybe somebody with more knowledge of FTTP will be able to help. 

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 292

TBH i dont think you ever had a problem. You say that speedtest.net was still reporting 280mbps+ indicating your connection was fine, but bt's speedtest was having a bit of trouble.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 292

There was definitely a problem Deathtrap - I had no internet access at all for a while. I also have BT TV and couldn't access any of the on demand content. Speedtest.net was reporting no connection last night, or would fail during the download test. It was only this morning when it reported 280Mbps, but it was the only tester to do that. All the others were in the region of 1Mbps.

It was only this afternoon when the service was back to normal and it can't be right that resetting the OR modem causes you to lose connectivity then speed for up to 36 hours (as was the case earlier this month).

As gg30340 said, I'm going to leave it and monitor it and perhaps build a small fence around the plug socket for the OR modem so no-one accidentally switches it off (again!).

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 292

With fttp you either have a connection or you don't.

My LAN1 light is constantly flashing but I know that is the multicast causing that. If you don't have a BBU fitted the modem can take upto 3 minutes to recover from a power supply failure but often quicker.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 10 of 292

And a note about the FTTP team, whilst it is a pain only having one team who know about the system, that beats dealing with some of the other helpdesks. Believe me I have had so many interesting conversations over the few years I have had fttp fitted. One help desk even said the system didn't exist even though I was looking at the modem.
0 Ratings