cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

Andy - I agree. But not being as technically minded on broadband / networking as others are, I rely on BT's better judgement. If they want to send an engineer out to poke a stick at things, that's fine with me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 292

@-AndyH- 

Yes In Walnut Tree.

I beleive we have met at some point at a MKBAG meeting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 292

Just got home and first two speed test (BTW tester) gave 156Mbps down, then 175Mbps down. Both upload speeds were over 25Mbps and pings under 25ms.

Still nowhere near the 250Mbps I usually get, but how long will it be before it falls over again? I hope BT have been able to identify the cause of my (and several others') problems and have a plan in place to fix it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 44 of 292

I would put money on:

1) This being very difficult to diagnose; and/or
2) This being complicated/taking time to fix.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 292

My infinity in Walnut Tree went down completely on friday afternoon, engineer came out and fixed it today. Turns out it was damaged fibre a couple of connection points down from me. Wonder whether that was causing the latest problems. It's fixed now. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 46 of 292

Doesn't sound too hard
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 47 of 292

The problem for everyone else in Walnut Tree (and beyond) is unlikely to be a damaged fibre.

The symptoms and their timing do not indicate a damaged fibre. Normally when the fibre itself or a joint are damaged, the service will not work at all (remember fibre is a strand of glass that transmits light).

I would think the problem lies at the exchange somewhere. The problem has been going on for nearly two months and some users have already had 3-4 engineer visits - these are not encouraging signs.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 48 of 292

I think you're getting bogged down in the detail, remember there is more than 1 strand of fibre.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 49 of 292

There is more than one strand where?

The 32x GPON Splitters are fed by one strand from the aggregation node. It's possible everyone affected could be on the same SASA, but unlikely.

We're also seeing other users in Newton Leys and Fenny Stratford (Milton Keynes), possibly affected by the same problem. These are separate exchanges (SMMK/SMBT).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 50 of 292

I think Andy knows his apples from his oranges...

Speeds now are back to normal - last test just now was 241 down and 27 up. 240-odd seems about average for peak evening times for me.

0 Ratings