cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 61 of 292

Re: FTTP Problems - 0.86Mbps down

I also had same issues again last night, MK7. Did not get to run the speedtest, but last time I tried I could only get the first test done. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 62 of 292

@ sendmark/csandbach Do you have existing faults raised with BT?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 63 of 292

Just got home, ran the BTW speedtest and got 273.57Mbps down and 27.51Mbps up... just in time for the BT engineer to tell me everything is working fine tomorrow morning Smiley Wink

@ sendmark and csandbach - if you don't have faults already raised, it would be good if you did raise them.

Edit: I just noticed the ping was 198.63ms - it's not normally that high. It's usually up to 20ms.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 292

I have a closed fault on this - last time I reported it they closed it right away saying they couldn't find anything wrong and needed to call back when it happens. Ofc whenever it happens it's late in the evening. Next time I will try and call in and get the fault re-opened.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 65 of 292

I am not quite sure how support works with BT Infinity, but I would try and get them to open a case with BT Wholesale for you. You need to stress that there are other users impacted (the evidence is this forum) and it seems localised to MK7. It seems like a waste of time for them to send you an engineer as other people have had engineers already and the problem has not gone away.

It seems a bit ridiculous that they will only open a fault when the problem is occurring! By the time you get through to them, things might be back to normal.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 66 of 292

@ JTG6 - I've sent you a pm 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 67 of 292

I'm in Walnut Tree with FTTP and having the same issues. DNS seems OK, servers can be pinged, but downloading can stall and can take a very long time or timeout. Last night it was practically useless, tonight not so bad. When it does connect to the speedtest.net site the connection is usually kept long enough to show 38Mb/s download and 10Mb/s upload (I'm on the lower tariff). It seems to me like a router problem, or maybe something like the bandwidth levelling software BT use, it doesn't feel like a hardware problem.

Just to add more weight to the evidence on this forum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 68 of 292

I only know the basics of how broadband works, so I can't speculate as to the cause but I'm fairly certain it's:

a) nothing to do with my equipment as several people are experiencing the same issues

b) localised to the MK7 area and possibly Newton Leys (new estate with FTTP near Bletchley)

c) seems to be affecting those who have FTTP only (please correct if wrong)

d) does not affect upload speeds whatsover

e) seems to occur during evening times i.e. peak internet usage times

f) recovers the following morning slowly, and

g) other than evening times, the days it happens seem to be random (although frequency is increasing).

I've run a number of BTW speedtests tonight and every single one has been well over 200Mbps. I would have thought that 7-10pm on a Friday night would be particularly busy and likely to cause problems. My last test was 234Mpbs down, 27Mbps up and the ping was 19.50ms.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 69 of 292

Did you hear anything back yet from the moderator btw?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 70 of 292

Yep, they said they could see that I had an open fault raised and would let them carry on with it.

0 Ratings