Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

FTTP Services and availability

Hi

I'm currently in a rural area with no possibility, it seems, of getting any type of broadband that has more than the poor 1.9mbs I'm currently getting. Satellite is not really an option as I work from home and require the use of VPN which brings down the speeds to less than I currently get. 

I noticed that BT/Openreach have mentioned an FTTP service that is due at some point, but I can't really find any more information about it in terms of dates, places and if I'll even be able to get this type of service. I appreciate it comes with a high installation price tag up to £1500, but this isn't a problem if it means I can get decent BB speeds. 

Thanks

Darrell (Postcode B48 7QZ)

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: FTTP Services and availability

You still need a FTTC cabint for FTTP on demand and will become available in March.

Though just a thought if there any other cabinets nearby which are FTTC they may also let you use one of these depending if the routing can be routed to your house with very little more work or they may charge you for it. Though this is just an idea that they may offer and actually hasn't be discussed anywhere.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

The £1500 figure being floated around is also just a starting point. If you live far from the nearest fibre node then its going to cost more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 4 of 6

@Deathtrap3000 wrote:

The £1500 figure being floated around is also just a starting point. If you live far from the nearest fibre node then its going to cost more.

Yea, it's 500m which apparently is on average how far people are away from there closet aggregation node. You also need to remember that's the price to the ISP not to the public so it could be more or less.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Hi

I believe that there is one closer, however I don't know how much closer nor the length of the line. Any ideas who I would approach to try and find this out as its proving very difficult to get anything from either BT or Openreach as the buck keeps getting passed

Thanks

D

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

@DarrellMe wrote:

Hi

I believe that there is one closer, however I don't know how much closer nor the length of the line. Any ideas who I would approach to try and find this out as its proving very difficult to get anything from either BT or Openreach as the buck keeps getting passed

Thanks

D

Not unless you are in a trial area no. Once FTTP on demand is rolled out, you will have a survey done beforehand in order to work out what has to be done and what cost.

0 Ratings