cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tag338
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

FTTP available To one side of the road but not the other?

Hi,
I am looking to purchase a new build property which is right across the road from existing houses that have FTTP available, as shown on the various checkers.
The new properties on the other side of the road only show as having standard ADSL despite apparently being on the same cabinet and connected via the same pole.

I have tried to get in contact with Openreach but am still waiting a reply and BT couldn’t shed any light on the situation either.
Is there anything else I can do to establish weather fibre will be available in these new properties? It’s a bit of a deal breaker for me.

There are a couple of people living in the new houses and at least one of them is a BT ADSL customer.
My concern is that for whatever reason it wouldn’t be possible to run fibre to the properties? The other existing properties are connected to the pole over ground but the new ones are underground via a sunken box in the ground.

Could anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance!
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: FTTP available To one side of the road but not the other?

Welcome to this user forum.

Until you get a working phone line installed, its not going to be possible to determine what broadband options are available.

As you mentioned a cabinet, I assume you are talking about FTTC, not FTTP?

If there are existing ADSL connections in the new houses, then that is likely that its a copper feed not a fibre feed.

If you know any of those people, and their phone number, then try the number in the

Broadband availability checker

0 Ratings
tag338
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Unfortunately the cabinet is not FTTC enabled and has no plans to be converted.
It’s FTTP that is available across the road as they are offered 300mbps.
As it’s connected to the same pole it’s strange how the same isn’t available in the new properties?

I don’t know the people who have moved in but do know they just have a standard copper mastersocket and no fibre.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Have the people opposite actually got FTTP or is it just showing FTTP on demand, which is a totally different product?

I suspect that in your case, only a copper feed from the exchange is availabe. ADSL2+ can be very good, if the exchange is nearby.

0 Ratings
tag338
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

I don’t believe they have FTTP installed but it is available to order if I use their postcode on the BT website.
I managed to get this confirmed with Openreach via twitter but they couldn’t help as to why it’s not available across the road.

Even though it is really close to the exchange, BT/Openreach state they can only guarantee 6mbps with a margin of error upto 2mbps. Hence my concern if fibre wouldn’t be a possibility now or in the near future.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Does it say FTTP On Demand?

0 Ratings
tag338
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

I was assuming it wasn't On Demand due to BT offering all their infinity packages if I use the postcode from across the road.

This is what BT offer on their website for accross the road: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x0p654z3gfx1bnj/BTFibre.png?dl=0

Starting with Infinity 1 through to 4.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

It would be best to use the availability checker. Use the postcode and address if you do not have a phone number fro across the road.

0 Ratings
tag338
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

This is what I get on the Openreach checker for the existing house directly across the road: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cyz5o9joiuf45m/FibreAcrossRoad.png?dl=0

And this is for the existing address (with someone living in it on ADSL): https://www.dropbox.com/s/spp1zwbmc5f7v9q/FibreNewBuilt.png?dl=0

Could it just be a database issue due to the new properties being on a new postcode or is it likley there is a genuine reason for FTTP not being available?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

They are not screenshots from the Broadband availability checker

Can you please try that one.

By the way, you can upload pictures to the forum, and it makes things easier for people to see.

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

0 Ratings