cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

FTTP broadband charges versus FTTC charges

I have been working on a Community Fibre Partnership with Openreach, covering two villages with about 700 premises. We are still working on getting people to sign up as a project supporter, committing to take out an FTTP broadband service contract, at the appropriate project stage, which will qualify for a Government Voucher. We are aiming to fund the community cost of the CFP using these Government Vouchers, so that there are no upfront charges for any residents, whether they supported the project or not. We are about two thirds of the way there, but we need to encourage more to sign up.

The biggest issue in persuading people to support the project is that people really cannot readily find out what monthly broadband costs they would be incurring compared with their present broadband contract.

I am producing a leaflet explaining all the background to the project, but I really need some real life examples of what CFP supporters have seen as their cost of supporting a project. Please post replies that indicate what you were paying before switching to FTTP and what you were paying afterwards.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: FTTP broadband charges versus FTTC charges

FTTP monthly charges are the same as FTTC except for the 900Mb service as there is no FTTC equivalent.

Message 3 of 15

@ShaneHorlockwrote:

The biggest issue in persuading people to support the project is that people really cannot readily find out what monthly broadband costs they would be incurring compared with their present broadband contract.

BT prices by the package, no matter how it's delivered, so 'Essential Fibre', 'Fibre 1' and 'Fibre 2' are priced the same if they are FTTC or FTTP, it's only when you have ultrafast speeds (over 100 mbps) that they vary, GFast is limited coverage and an FTTC product.

Message 4 of 15

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

I really want real world figures. You do not qualify for a Government Voucher under the DCMS scheme unless the new package is at least twice the speed of your current package (or 100 MBs whichever is least). So saying FTTC and FTTP costs from BT are the same for a given performance does not cut it. Not everyone is with BT at the moment, though I believe they offer the most competitive FTTP prices so that might be where people end up.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

This is a BT retail forum, if you want wider information you need to look elsewhere.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

AFAIK, it’s the network that has to be capable of delivering  speeds that would at least double the speeds of what the recipient of the voucher currently gets ,( if they currently get 30Mb or less ) , or provide at least 100Mb if they already get in excess of 30Mb, as far as the recipient of the voucher  , the fact that they apply for one , means they presumably want FTTP or some other method of improving their ‘on line’ experience otherwise why ask for the voucher.

If ( for arguments sake ) they  were on 55Mb with FTTC , and were provided with FTTP via a CFP funded by DCMS , they presumably could stay on 55Mb albeit on FTTP and get that actual speed rather than whatever speed the ‘rate adaptive’ FTTC provided ,( which may be 55Mb but could be less ) …I doubt the Government check that the recipient has taken a 100Mb+ package, just that the network is capable of delivering 100Mb+, so the fact that BT charge the same for a particular speed irrespective of it being delivered by FTTC or FTTP, is valid,  if the the area was below 20Mb then doubling that speed may not even require FTTP, although OR wouldn’t provide anything other than FTTP , other operators may. 
If you are in effect cajoling residents, when they are not particularly bothered if ‘broadband’ is going to be better or not , that probably isn’t in the spirit of the scheme, that (in part) is why you don’t need 100% support or obligation to take up the service.
As already stated, this is a BT forum, so the answers are based on a BT customer, there is no obligation for the voucher recipient to use BT ,( if it’s Openreach that are providing the network ) any ISP that uses OR can be used, plus other network builders apart from OR can provide infrastructure and use DCMS vouchers to pay or part pay

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

1 The CFP needs funding using vouchers.

2 We only have 2/3 of cost covered at the moment.

3 There is no FTTP in the area at present so potential supporters cannot see costs of buying a voucher qualifying package and Openreach will kick off the voucher claims a year before they can buy the package

4 We need additional supporters to be able to fully fund the project.

5 We need to give them real world examples so they can understand what they would be signing up to.

6 A BT customer who has been through this could definitely provide a real world example.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

As already stated, for a given package costs are the same regardless of delivery medium. An 80/20 broadband package costs the same whether it is delivered by fibre, copper or wet string.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

If you can't be bothered trying to understand the question, why bother responding, especially when you only repeat what others have said.

I really would like to hear from someone who says "I claimed a voucher and my monthly costs were £x beforehand and £y afterwards" If they say what before and after performance was that would complete the answer.

0 Ratings