Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gazm1990
Contributor
Message 1 of 21

FTTP information

Hello

Just after some advice and hopefully a solution. My property is getting FTTP as part of the superfast cymru scheme in my area. I was advised that this would be available sometime in February and I think it might be available now. The pole outside my property has had fibre cables inatalled and a green fibre box attached to the pole. I've checked the BT Wholesale checker and it doesn't say it is available yet but I was hoping that if it's going to be activated soon then I could get the ball rolling and maybe place an order and arrange an engineer appointment.
I phoned the dedicated BT FTTP sales line but it was quite late and got put through to the standard sales team who didn't know much about it and just gave me the standard 'computer says no' answer.

I was wondering if any of the mods could help me and give me some more detailed information on how I can place an order for infinity on my line?

Many thanks
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 21

Re: FTTP information

suggest you re-try when the dedicated experts are back in the office.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Hi gazm1990

My property has recently gone live for FTTP.

Openreach have been in my area for the last 18 months pulling fibre through to manholes and up the poles.

Fibre was installed up my pole in October 2015, I could only order towards the end of January 2016.

I found the Openreach checker showed availability a few weeks before the BT Wholesale checker, I couldn't order until the BT Wholesale checker showed it as available.

Openreach:

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

BT Wholesale:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

I hope this helps, best to keep checking the BT Wholesale checker (I use to do it daily!) and as soon as it shows availability call the 0800 number to order.

gazm1990
Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Hi airgun

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I hope I haven't got to wait that long until I can order it, I'm too keen! 😂. I was told by superfast cymru on Twitter that my property should be able to order some time in February so I'm just hoping it's soon.

I managed to get hold of the fttp team and they were very good. They said that some of their systems show that it's available and some show that it's not ready yet so they're going to get more info and get back to me.

Also, is fttp as good as I'm imagining it's going to be?
0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Hi gazm1990

I'll let you know how good it is when I finally get it installed!

All reports I've read seem very good, the connection should be a true 40/10 or 80/20 depending if you go for Infinity 1 or 2.

I originally ordered last week of Jan with an install date of 12/02, BT cancelled this order after about a week as they couldn't supply the voice connection via fibre.

I placed a new order last week retaining my copper connection for voice, installation 30/03.

When ordering it's worth making sure the agent understands if you've already got a voice line and ask them to check if this copper line needs to be kept for voice, the person I spoke to advised that they have to order a different product depending on this.

Being a tight Yorkshire man I would reccomend looking on the BT website for any offers / pre paid debit card deals before you call and mention this to ensure you don't loose out by ordering via the phone.

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

If you're getting fttp the only sensible option is clearly option 4 with 330/20 😄
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

I would love the 330 speed - it's hard to justify the cost for home use.

For me the greatest benefit will be the increase in upload. At the moment I get around 7 download and 0.4 upload, the download speed is manageable but as soon as I try to send an email with a few attachments everything else grinds to a halt.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Hehe yeah I know what you mean. Realistically, for most households. 80meg is still pretty overkill right now. 40 meg will do all but the largest of families really. 40meg would still allow 5-6 HD quality streams all at the same time with room left for browsing.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
gazm1990
Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Thanks for the heads up when it comes to ordering. I'll keep an eye on the infinity website to see what offers they're doing.

I wasn't even aware that they offered voice over fibre. I may as well just keep my copper line for that as we never use the landline in our house as we use our mobiles. Unless you have no choice but to switch to voice over fibre of course.

That's a long old wait you've got now airgun before you will get it installed! Is that the quickest appointment you could have had?

I know what you mean about the 300 mbps option! Will be unnecessary for me but just hope I'll be able to resist it when I get offered it 😂
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

I know for a fact I'd buckle and take the fastest one even though it's definitely not required haha
0 Ratings