Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

FTTP install - size of fibre tube from ONT to CSP

Go to solution

Hello all, I am now finally able to order fibre where I live and so have ordered the Infinity 3 package.  This is a mixed copper and fibre development, with only copper deployed after moving in a year ago (so currently on ADSL).  The fibre was run to the manifold in the summer but I now have installation dates for the final stages.

I have seen the components that will get installed with FTTP and would be happy to have the CSP on the outside wall next to the front door, where the BT duct emerges and where the copper currently enters the house through the wall. 

I would like the ONT, BBU and hub in the cupboard under the stairs, where the current master socket is located.  However, this is in the middle of the house, so the Openreach engineer is going to have to find a way of getting the fibre between the two locations. 

The order email states:

• On the day, your engineer can run an uninterrupted fibre cable (up to 30 metres long) to your Hub from the box on your outside wall. This cable can only go along walls - both internally and externally, or a combination of both, but not under carpets or floors.

The email states the engineer should:

• work inside your home (but not in loft spaces), and possibly at your local exchange or in the street, to set everything up
  • run cables along walls or skirting boards (they can't go under carpets or floors) and maybe drill some holes (they'll do this as carefully as possible)

I am fairly sure the existing copper runs up the wall, through the ceiling void, then down a wall into the understairs cupboard.  Being a mixed copper/fibre development, the developer (one of the big UK housebuilders), should have followed the Openreach guidelines and put in a duct between the external BT duct and internal master socket location, but this is too 21st century for them so has probably been ignored.  That said, there is a duct or ducts that goes to that location and bring in the main electricity feed and communal TV fibre through the floor, though I don't know where they enter the house.

My options are:

1. Have the internal fibre run around skirting boards and door frames - I really don't want this on show in a new house
  2. With the aid of a few holes to be filled later, allow it to be routed behind the plasterboard.
  3. Find a way to tap into the electricity/TV fibre duct.

Number 3 seems ideal if it 'just' a case of digging a hole near the front door to get to it, though care would be needed not to damage the existing cables inside and ensure it remains watertight.

If I go for option 2, how thick is the fibre tube that runs inside the home?  I have dot and dab walls and so could it fit in the void between the plasterboard and blockwork?

Thanks,

James.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
xxxxSMITHYxxxx
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP install - size of fibre tube from ONT to CSP

Go to solution

i really wanted FTTP 😞

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
It's about the same size as the standard 4 core copper cable that openreach use. If you go for option 2 you would be better trying to get a draw line in behind the plaster board yourself. I dont think they would allow the fibre in the same duct/trunking as an electric mains cable.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
James_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.  If it is about the same as the copper then it should go behind the plasterboard and naturally I would have to prepare the route.

I cannot see any reason for problems due to proximity of mains cable as the fibre, unlike copper, should be immune from the electromagnetic interference.  A fibre voice line would be good as the master socket is fairly close to the electricity meter and consumer unit, possibly giving me the buzzy line.

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

If it were me preparing for the installation I would go to my local plumbers merchant (or B&Q) and get a coil of 8mm plastic piping and have it already in place (various lengths available). It will easily go behind dot & daub dry lining.

James_H
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

To conclude my thread, I finally had the FTTP internal installation done yesterday.  (The long delay from ordering was down to failure of BT Retail's ordering system after a reschedule.)

I went with my middle option of going behind the plasterboard and thanks to pippincp's suggestion I put some tubing in place.  Rather than plumbing pipe, I bought some inexpensive flexible conduit, fed some string through it first, then fed the conduit behind the plasterboard along the wall, into the ceiling across the hall (using a hole cut under the bath to help feed it) then down the waste pipe void, which was on the opposite side of the wall.  Sounds easy, but there was quite a bit of effort needed.

I had a very helpful Openreach installer who was happy to feed the fibre through the conduit, where I pulled it through and he fed it in.  Something else to note is that one end of the 30m fibre reel available has the connector to the ONT pre-fitted.  Even if not using my conduit, the cable feeding has to start from the ONT location.

The installer was impressed with the method and agreed it is much better than having the fibre on view.  A fourth option mentioned by the installer was to run the fibre externally to the back of the house, then in through the utility room where a cable on the skirting might be less intrusive.  I had thought about that before putting in the conduit, but was not keen on having so much exposed on the outside wall.

I have a bit of effort now to refill all the holes.  Most were created with a hole cutter in the drill so i still have the cut-outs.  As could be expected, there were more obstructions than expected so there are a lot of holes to do.  Having lived with my hall looking like Swiss cheese for a month and a half, I'll be glad to have it back to normal.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
glad you are sorted.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

Happy it all went to plan!Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
chrisbond
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution
I'm having external work done soon too - I want to run the cable up in a high trunking near the ceiling across and down but has to go round a boxed in bit twice - what bend angle can the internal fibre tube go?
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
I believe it has to be no smaller than 90 degrees. I could be wrong though.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings